Rentals in Indianapolis>Question Details

Jay, Renter in Indianapolis, IN

My wife and two young children are looking to move to Indianapolis this summer. We are looking for rental homes. Will our credit/ bankruptcy hurt us?

Asked by Jay, Indianapolis, IN Mon Feb 13, 2012

I'm a firefighter of 10 years and served in the military and my wife is a teacher. We are moving back to be closer to family. Possibly looking at Historic Irvington, Beech Grove, Perry, and Greenwood but are open to options. Please help!

Answers

3
Heather Fitzgerald’s answer
Jay, be up front and honest with whomever you talk to about renting. We have handled a large number of short sales along with our broker. Our broker has a property management division and they deal with these types of situations on a daily basis. I would venture that most professional property management companies in this economy have dealt with these issues on a daily basis as well.

It is good to talk with a lender so in the future you are able to have your credit in a better position, but one thing at a time is probably best so as not to feel overwhelmed. Deal with the rental, and then start working with a good, honest lender that can guide you thru how to do that.

Give us a call if you need lender contacts to do that.

Heather Fitzgerald 371-2622
Pam Smith 446-0959
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Feb 14, 2012
Jay - If they pull your credit, yes. The best thing is to be upfront & honest about your situation. Lot's of people are going thrrough the same thing. You have many months to do some repair on your credit before the move, so make it a priority!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Feb 13, 2012
Jay,

Your bankruptcy will impact you. I would recommend obtaining your full credit report for a lender (I can recommend one) so you can review it. Next make notes of items that might be incorrectly reported etc. and then make contact with a credit repiar specialist (I can recommend one, just let me know) and work to accomplish the steps the credit specialist lays out to clean up your credit and prepare your self to meet the credit scores you need.