Rentals in 10014>Question Details

allicocklisa, Renter in New York, NY

My name is Laytoya and I am renting an apartment in nyc. My landlord is selling his house. what are my rights?

Asked by allicocklisa, New York, NY Wed Dec 5, 2012

I have been living in the apartment for five years and I am not currently on a lease. I would move but I do not have the money to do so. He wants to show the house every Wednesday. Its so invading. what do I do?

1 vote Share Flag Rentals in 10014

Answers

4
Nick Rafello’s answer
You must let him show the house and all units in the house. Showing every Wednesday is plenty of notice for any tenant and reasonable.. If you have no lease you are out of luck. I don't nean to be doom and gloom here but I suggest you call a friend and make temporary arrangements. This house he's selling is being delivered vacant. Plan wisely.
If you had a lease, the lease would be in force even after the sale.

As a tenant, you must not interfere with the showing of his house; this would be illegal. You are lucky he only wants to show on Wednesdays; as a Realtor, I would insist the house be available 7 days/week for showings.

I suggest you start looking for a new apartment.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Dec 5, 2012
Laytoya in my opinion that's not an unreasonable request to inconvenience yourself once a week in the slightest; it might not even be as often as once a week if there are no appointments. Since there is not lease you should start looking for alternative living now. By the time your landlord finds a buyers and go through the closing process you should be long gone and everyone is happy. Good luck.
Since there is no lease involved, you really should begin looking for a new home; luckily your landlord is giving you plenty of notice for showings, and plenty of time for one to move on...
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Dec 5, 2012