Rentals in Missouri>Question Details

s501451, Renter in Austin, TX

My lease expires on April 27th and the college I attend doesn't get out until like May 4th. Is there anything I can do to stay for an extra week?

Asked by s501451, Austin, TX Tue Feb 12, 2013

I heard there was a MO law that allows tenants to stay and pay a prorated rent premium. Can anyone help me?

0 votes Share Flag Rentals in Missouri

Answers

1
There is no law that i'm aware of that allows anyone to stay past the end of their contract period. Have you talked to your landlord and requested an extension? In most cases its difficult to lease before the term ends, so many landlords would prefer to keep their tenants until the end of the term. What they need is time to get in and paint and do repairs early enough that its ready when the students start looking for leases for the next term. Your landlord does have the right to increase the rent at the point that your lease ends and you become a month to month tenant instead of having a valid contract

If you arent able to make arrangements with your landlord, you might look into some of the long stay hotel/motels in the area that businesses use for employees who are relocating to an area or on temporary assignment in an area