Rentals in Suitland>Question Details

Janine Heard, Renter in Washington, DC

My impending divorce has caused my credit score to fall now I need to move out of the family home. Where can I find help with a new place.?

Asked by Janine Heard, Washington, DC Wed Jan 2, 2013

0 votes Share Flag Rentals in Suitland

Answers

4
Hello Mrs. Heard,

I am not only a licensed realtor, but also the owner of a property management company. I would be able to help you with getting ready to sell/purchase a home and renting a home.

There are several things that landlords look at, besides just a credit score. So, renting while you work on increasing your credit score may be your best option. I can help you with all of that.

Feel free to call me at 301-437-6645 or email me at yourdmvrealtor@gmail.com.

Thank you
Hello new home. I have dealt with clients with similar credit challenges from short sales to divorce cases. There are a few things you can do to compensate for the bad credit when seeking a place to rent. Usually I do a little work up front by making phone calls and speaking to agents, landlords and management companies. I have been pretty successful given the circumstances of credit challenged renters in the last few years. If you would like my assistance I can be reached at 301-440-1489 or parkerteam4@aol.com.
Hi Janine, Depending on how much time you have, you could increase your score. At the same time a rental may be a better idea for you. I can help you. contact me so that we can explore other options.
Hi New Home,

Your credit score isn't going to be the only factor that will be considered by a lessor. I own rental property, and to me, the score itself isn't as important as what is "driving" the score. You should be prepared to explain the circumstances that caused your score to fall in detail if asked. If you can provide solid employment history, proof of adequate income, and good references - the credit score might not be weighed as heavily provided you can explain the driving factors behind the score.

It's unrealistic these days for owners to expect every applicant to have an 800+ credit score - however getting a divorce, or the inability to pay some emergency medical bills is going to be looked upon differently than if you racked up 10 credit cards over a 5 year period, never paid a dime on them or made an attempt to resolve, and are currently running from creditors.

Just be sure to be honest and upfront with your situation anywhere you apply. Most realistic rental owners are going to consider each individual on a case-by-case basis and not solely by a credit score.