Rentals in Virginia Beach>Question Details

K.springer78, Renter in Bucyrus, OH

My husband may be transferring to the Virginia Beach, Norfolk area. We have elementary and high school age kids. Need 4 bedrooms.

Asked by K.springer78, Bucyrus, OH Sun Dec 23, 2012

Which areas are the nicest with good schools and nice community? Looking to rent till we get aquainted to the area. Between 2000-2800 a month.Would also like a pool, if possible

Answers

11
As you can see, there are many agents willing to assist you in finding a home for your family. Some agents do charge some type of house hunting fee and some do not. All agents have different ways of assisting you.

Your question though has nothing to do with all that. Let's get down to the nuts and bolts:

1. Most agents have a website that allows you to look for rentals (according to your specifications) and save your listings results. They all have the same REIN MLS list(our local Multiple Listing Service).
2. Greatschools.org will give you a pretty good indication of both test results and comments/reviews/ratings. Then visit the particular school's web site to get a local feel!
3. Each city has some type of Crime report system where you can look up the neighborhoods and see the stats. You can search for this online.
4. Check out jet noise level and crash zones (particular to our area).

After criss-crossing this country with 13 moves I will be happy to share some advice on the priority of your search based on my experience. Just give me a call....

If you have more specific questions you can ask them here or call one of the local REALTORS.

Have a great holiday season!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Dec 23, 2012
We have a beautiful home for sale in a great school district.
Elem- Red Mill Elem
Middle school- Princess Anne Middle
High School- Kellam- which will be in a brand new building soon.

http://www.forsalebyowner.com/listing/5-bed-Single-Family-ho…
Hi K! I spent the holidays in Bucyrus, small world. My late Grandfather, Paul Outhwaite, was the Mayor for many years. I'm not going to beat a dead horse, the other agents have provided great resources for your consideration. However, I would be honored to assist a family from my Mom's home town find their new home! Looking forward to hearing from you.

Phil Capron
410-746-4836 (personal cell)
757-206-2891 (office line)
philcapronrealtor@gmail.com
(if you haven't already) Please check militarybyowner.com

listings by owners and agents

Beware of "for sale/for rent" listings. I know a few military families that had to move because the homes were foreclosed on. Terrible situation for everyone involved, and an agent doesn't prevent this either.

We will be listing our home on militarybyowner.com available in April, we only rent to military or NATO, and have been HUGELY blessed with 3 military families (2 Year or more lease), fingers crossed for another good fit!

I see you've gotten quite a few responses, all if them good. My website, http://www.DawnMovesMilitary.com has links to each military installation. Most of this will rely on personal preference, drive times to base and so on.
Take a look and give me a call. I'm a military spouse and I did a lot of research when we moved into the area even before I became a Realtor.
Hello and Merry Christmas!
As a military spouse of 24 years and 16 moves under my belt (both conus and overseas) I can understand how both exciting and stressful a move can be, especially with children. If I can be of assistance, I would be happy to help you through this PCS.
I am available to answer any questions you may have about Virginia Beach and the Hampton Roads area.
Elizabeth Mazuera with William E. Wood & Associates
757-748-0792
For assistance in the Virginia Beach area visit http://chooseahomenow.com a local page with a property wizard for you to use as a tool.
I agree with Don. The easiest way to find a place to live is at http://www.chooseahomenow.com
Flag Wed Jan 9, 2013
Hello, there are a number of areas that meet your needs. I know how it is relocating to a new area and having to consider schools, pricing etc. Funny, when I relocated here my children were similar ages. Contact me directly, I'd love to assist with info and insight on rentals in Virginia Beach. In the meantime, search my site http://www.VARentLady.com. My direct contact information follows.

Warmest and best,

Asiyah Ali
Real Estate Specialist
Gallery of Homes Real Estate
757-304-6030
http://www.VARentLady.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Dec 23, 2012
I will be happy to assist you. I work with renters all the time. There is no charge for my services. The Broker who is listing the property you eventually rent will be paying me a finder's fee.

I will be happy to set you up with an automated search in the MLS search engine. Unlike trulia, zillow, homes.com, and hotpads the MLS search engine I will provide will be updated as fast as is humanly possible. Those other websites many tiomes will have stale listings sometimes rented as far back as four months.

They get a feed from the MLS. I am a member of the MLS. Their goal is to sell advertising to advertsiers based on how much they can get you to look at their webpages. My goal is to find you a home as efficiently as possible, so they we spend less gas and time looking at homes. I have a very different goal from those websites mentioned.

Here is what I need to know:
You name.
Your phone number. (cell)
Your e-mail.
If you are military I need a non-mil e-mail.
rent: 2000-2800
Min BR?
Min BA?
Min sq feet?
Do you need it pet friendly?
Single Family only? or is a Townhouse OK?
What is the last day, do or die, you must be moved in?
What is the fastest you can move in?

Based on the last 2 questions I'll be able to give you a reasonable time period you should arrive in VB for us to go look at homes. (Example: If July 1, we need to start looking maybe the end of the 1st week in June. You do not want to arrive now because the MLS is only now just starting to show March availability dates.)

When I set you up with your MLS search you will have your own private website where all of your search results will be stored as opposed to a bunch of links you access individually. You can delete listings and choose Favorites and Possibles. If you are looking at a listing you like a lot, and it disappears from your search results, it just got rented. Updates of new listings will appear the the top of the results at your website.

I will be able to see your search results, but in a very different format than you will view it.

If I search for pools, it will exclude your seeing those w/o pools.
Good schools? You need to look at http://www.greatschools.org .
Realtors do not pick schools or safe neighborhoods.
Why not? Because I will have induced you to buy based on my recommendation.
If someone is subject to a crime after having rented in a neighborhood I have declared as SAFE, then there is all sorts of liability.
If I choose a "good school" for you and your child has problems there, then the same result as with a crime.

I can put you in contact with someone who used to be the Volunteer of the Year in the VB school system to recommend schools. I won't do it due to the liability.

Norfolk is another matter.... Please have your husband talk to people already in the area at his company, or if you are military, in his command. There are currently 9 single family rentals available in Norfolk in your price range w/o regard to quality of the school. (Plug in Norfolk at http://www.greatschools.org )

Since May of 2011 you will be approx the 150th family I will have done this for.
You can also call some of the local remax offices to find people who do what I do. They will expect to earn the finder's fee and also will charge you $100/day.

Their $100/day fee is to allow them to earn somethine if you fail to rent something through them. The possibility of your not renting something I have shown you I consider a cost of doing business.

(William E Wood & Assoc is NOT William E Wood At The Mall.... very confusing, I know. When we meet I will explain..... WEW & Assoc... 2011 = $1.21 Bill in sales.... WEWATM... 2011= $140 mill in sales. Just suffice it to say, I am not an agent at the company of the respondent below. And not to say he cannot assist you.)

Let me know how I can assist you.
Jonathan O'Connor
William E. Wood & Assoc.
757-373-9355
joconnor@williamewood.com
All of what you are asking is possible. I would suggest talking with a REALTOR with time frames, if there are any special school programs your children are interested in (different school systems do offer some interesting choices like math-science, international baccalaureate, academies like legal or health, etc), what type of living you would want (near water, in the country, etc) you would mention those whether rental or purchase or both. Searches can be set up for you to preview opportunities. All possible but first step would be finding someone you can work with. Dale Hirst Shaffer Real Estate, 757.235.9971, hirsthomes-va@yahoo.com RealEstatein757.com
We have some great schools in the Virginia Beach area. Sounds like you could fall in the Frank W. Cox or First Colonial Schools. The hard part would be the pool, as we are so close to the beach, there are not many in-ground pools, but there could be.
Contact me and I will help you find a place. I will email you properties that match your requirements. Thanks for the question.

Kevin Monette
William E. Wood At The Mall
757-735-2628
monette_55@yahoo.com