Rentals in Longmont>Question Details

resolami, Renter in Longmont, CO

My husband and I are planning on moving to Longmont in May; is it difficult to find inexpensive rental houses that allow pets?

Asked by resolami, Longmont, CO Mon Dec 3, 2012

We have 2 small dogs and a cat. We are hoping for something inexpensive, as I will be attending culinary school and am not sure what my income is going to be.

--
This question was asked from this property: http://www.trulia.com/rental/3102015321-119-Fairbanks-St-Lon…

0 votes Share Flag Rentals in Longmont

Answers

6
I have been living in Longmont for about two years and am currently searching in the same price range. It is very tough, but there are a few houses up for rent that fall in that range. Unfortunately, not only do they go very, very fast, but it is difficult to find anywhere that will allow more than a single pet. In addition, most of the available jobs in central Longmont are not the best (such as serving, retail, etc.). If you are unable to find a better job, widening your criteria to include surrounding cities might be necessary (as April said.) I wish you all the luck in the world!
What Sally and April said. Tough, tough market for renters.

Hang in there!
nothing under two grand prob.
I agree with April. The rental market is very tough right now. What do you consider "inexpensive"? Buying a home is actually cheaper than renting right now. And as April mentioned, pets might be an issue, and you'll likely have to pay an additional damage deposit. Depending on what your long term plans are, I would seriously consider buying instead of renting right now. Good luck to you!
I would love love love to buy a house, but unfortunately, I have neither the money or the credit at the moment (I made some dumb choices when I was younger). "Inexpensive" would be anything from 600.00--1100.00. We won't have a definite price range until we have jobs there, but I'm hoping that 600.00-1100.00 isn't too delusional. Neither one of us really know anything about the area, including pay rates and cost of living, except from research we've been doing online. We currently live in WV and know that the cost of living in CO is higher. That's about it. :(
Flag Mon Dec 3, 2012

Just to give you a very realistic update on your question.

The rental market is VERY tight in Longmont right now. There are some owners that will allow small pets - however they typically charge an extra pet deposit as well as some additional pet rent. You may want to broaden your 'acceptable' cities criteria to include the Frederick/Firestone/Erie/Dacono/Berthoud areas to increase your chances of finding what you are looking for.

Hope this helps!

April Neuhaus
Hello Resolami,
I wanted to also give you some additional information after working with a renter just this month in a very similar price range. Have you looked into the grant option for purchasing a home that have just recently become available? The gal that I am working with was sure her credit was not good enough to buy and did not have a down payment. However, when she worked with the lender that was offering the grant - she did not end up needing any down payment and her credit, although not perfect, was good enough for her to qualify! Just a thought in case you haven't been able to find a rental yet...
Kindest Regards,
April Neuhaus
Flag Mon Mar 24, 2014
Thanks! :)
Flag Mon Dec 3, 2012
You should be able to find something. It's the people with large dogs that have a really hard time finding a rental.
Good to know!
Flag Mon Dec 3, 2012