Rentals in Los Angeles>Question Details

Julieeileen, Renter in Los Angeles, CA

My husband & I are moving to LA so that I can attend grad school at UCLA. He'll be working in South Pasadena. We really need advice on where

Asked by Julieeileen, Los Angeles, CA Tue Jul 19, 2011

to live!! Initially we were looking into studio city or sherman oaks, but I did my research and found that it would take about an hour to go just 12 miles. As a stressed-out, very busy grad student, that is just too much! Is there any in-between neighborhood we could live that would allow for a decent commute for both of us?

This is a dilemma, Julie. There really is no middle area to split the commute, in that the Pasadena trip is going to be difficult wherever you decide to live. So, you are almost better off living nearer UCLA. Going north on the 405 in the morning is to be going against traffic and will be pretty light. Hitting the 101 makes no difference. It is going to be chock-a-block all day. So finding somewhere that lessens your husband's trip by 10 minutes and adds 45 to yours is not going to make sense.

My suggestion would be to live with easy access to either the 405 or the 10, on the Westside, which would be Westwood, West Los Angeles, or Palms. You for sure do not want to live in the Valley.

Los Angeles is definitely not an easy city in which to commuted.
Web Reference:
Dear Julieeileen:

My suggestion is that you consider the Hancock Park area of Los Angeles, especially the older and charming large apartments along Sixth and Sycamore. It's a wonderful neighborhood where a lot of students live, you are close to the Grove and Larchmont Village for shopping and about a 45 minute commute west to UCLA and about a 35 minute commute east to South Pasadena. I lived in Hancock Park for many years and currently live in the Pasadena-South Pasadena area, so I know both these areas very well.

Please let me know if I can be of further assistance to you. Good Luck in your move to Los Angeles,

Meredith McKenzie
Associate Broker
1660 Hillhurst Avenue
Los Angeles, CA 90027

323-300-1110 - Direct
323-230-9749 - Cell
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Jul 19, 2011
My heart really goes out to you on this:
You could hardly have picked a worse senario; Pasadena to UCLA.
You basically have three choices;
1. long commute to Pasadena
2. long commute to UCLA
3. live somewhere in the middle

and there is a LOT of middle!

you are going to have to decide, explore your territory and decide.
I would go for the area with the best Garage Sales and Togo's.

Good luck and may God bless
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Jul 19, 2011
At this point, we've narrowed it down to the Hancock Park area. If we do settle there, I should expect 45-1 hour commute to UCLA, no? And husband's commute 30-45 to So. Passadena? This is what we've been told, I just want to confirm.

We'll be in LA next weekend (July 30, 31) to look at places. We're looking for a 2 BR 2BA and we have a large dog. It would be great to be near a park or have some sort of yard if this is possible! I appreciate all the responses, and any further advice would be GREATLY appreciated!
Hi Julieelleen:

I feel your pain!. It is unfortunate, traffic is prevalent in major metropolitan cities.

The commute all depends on what time of day you will be traveling and in what direction. I drive between Santa Monica and the Wilshire District daily. When going east from Santa Monica, the worst traffic starts around 2:30 and lasts until around 7:30. I try to avoid it by working late or running errands in the area.

In the morning, the 10 freeway is heavy starting at 7AM and lightens up around 9:30 -10 am. The streets are not as heavy during this time.

Driving over the 405 to the valley the traffic is heavy in the morning and evening. Mid day, it is hit and miss.

If your husband is going to work in South Pasadena, you may what to consider the Silver Lake area. He can jump right onto the Pasadena Freeway from there which takes you right into South Pasadena. It's about a 10 minute drive to the freeway. Your commute to UCLA would take anywhere between 30 to 45 minutes.

Another place to consider would be the Pico Robertson area. It's about 15 to 20 minutes from UCLA and has direct freeway access to Pasadena via the 10, 110 and Pasadena Freeways.

If you would like to contact me directly, I can give you more details about traffic and areas.

Good luck with your search.

Kat Becker, Agent
Prudential California Realty
My input for a mid-way point, more or less, is the Los Feliz area or the City of Glendale.

We love LA!
Web Reference:
Hello julie,

I'm sure you have already been given a grim picture of LA commutes so I don't need to reiterate just how bad traffic is. Let met just give you the best location to live for your circumstances: West Hollywood. Easy drive taking sunset all the way to UCLA and with some experimenting you will be able to learn some parallel streets that can cut down on the commute but you may not even need it depending on the time you drive.

As for your husband, there is one particular route he can take that has not been shared. He can work his way to Cahuenga which runs parallel to the 101 north. Make a right on Barhan and stick to your right and take Forest Lawn all the way to the 134 East to Pasadena. This cuts a hugger chunk off the commute fort your husband even when there isn't traffic on the freeways.

You can check these routes out on google maps.

I can also discuss these routes in more detail as well as other alternates over the phone or via email. Simply contact me and I can email you different routes highlighted through google maps for your reference.

In fact, if you come LA anytime and want to experiment with these routes I am happy to take a stroll for the day and drive you through them so you experience them first hand.

Best of luck to you and your husband.

(714) 501-3558
Coldwell Banker Ambassador Realty
Sorry to inform that anywhere you live in LA you have
a commute factor. You should learn the side streets..When I lived in Hawthorne and worked in Century City rather than taking the 405 to the 10 to National...I jogged on the side streets and cut my time in half. Map quest your routes freeways and street..Also consider the rail system it could save you in time,patients and study...

Good luck and you can call me if you have any questions..

Katherine 951 538-4126
I had a similar dilemma a decade ago, where it was a point between two distances. What is most important to you and how can you compromise? For me (not a commuter) I gained a short commute while my then-husband happily spent more time in the car with a new car stereo. Explore any mass transit routes (South Pasadena rail/bus?) to cut down the gridlock. Who has a regular schedule and hours? These may help you find the solution. (And no need to necessarily rule out the Valley--be sure to get central air--sounds like you won't spend much time at home anyway.)

You are looking at two Los Angeles extremes, due to how you get to either Pasadena or Westwood. One of you is going to have a brutal commute. Even at the worst commute times it shouldn't take you more than 30 minutes to get to UCLA from Sherman Oaks, but it will take your husband over an hour to get to Pasadena. Whichever way you go, East or West it is going to add numerous minutes to your commute. Feel free to contact me directly if you would like more information on the wheres and whys you should and shouldn't live in specific areas.

Take care,

Jason Shokrian
John Aaroe Group
14242 Ventura Blvd. #100
Sherman Oaks, CA 91423
DRE#: 01047354
If you are trying to avoid traffic then you may want to select a different city other than L.A. ;-)

Just kidding, actually we had this *major* freeway closure this past weekend and surprisingly it went quite well, everyone thought it was going to be "Carmageddon" but there was no major backups and the freeway re-opened ahead of schedule.

You can get from Sherman Oaks to UCLA in 10-15 minutes, or it can take an hour if the 405 has an accident, Supulveda Blvd & Beverly Glen Blvd's are backed up. Going from West Hollywood to UCLA even can take 30+ minutes. You basically are picking one of the heaviest trafficked area of Los Angeles. Culver City may be a good alternative, as the traffic going up Westwood Blvd in the morning from there can be made but you have streets on either side of you to get by the traffic... but traffic to Pasadena on the 10 in the morning can be extremely brutal from Culver City, it can easily be 1.5 hours, or just 20-25 minutes.

It also depends on when your husband will be going to work, if his hours are the normal 8-5PM then he'll be battling it out, but if it's 6AM to 3PM or even 10AM to 7PM then he may be able to avoid a bit of the traffic.

Just like Ron says, you are going to have to pick a location close to either one if you want to make sure that one of you will have an easy commute.

Where are you moving from?