Rentals in Seattle>Question Details

travelinbdh, Renter in Seattle, WA

My husband & I are moving to Seattle in mid-June, when should we come (from east coast) to look for an apartment?

Asked by travelinbdh, Seattle, WA Sun Jan 27, 2013

0 votes Share Flag Rentals in Seattle

Answers

12
I'm not a renter's agent, but I did want to chime in on this one...it depends on what you're looking for. This is a pretty hot market for rentals, also we have some pretty diverse neighborhoods. Here is a Bing link for some pretty good neighborhood articles: http://www.bing.com/search?q=seattle+neighborhoods&qs=LC… .
I would suggest you go online now to learn about the "where", then start watching Craigslist or Seattle PI rental listings for pricing and availability. I know that when I rented out my house on Craigslist last spring, I listed it in April for a June 1st rental, had 23 couples/families come thru, received 19 applications in that first week alone, and my renters moved in over Memorial Day weekend. Good luck! You'll love it here! :o)
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Jan 27, 2013
If you are going to be here on a temporary assignment as faculty to UW, I would recommend you contact the small volunteer staffed faculty rental office at UW. They may have something that suit you. I live in the U-district and would be happy to assist.

Gustaf Karlholm
206 245 8320
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Jan 27, 2013
Start early, like now. The neighborhoods with the highest density of apartments include Capitol Hill, Queen Anne, Ballard, and Belltown. All these neighborhoods are close to downtown, so commutes will be easier. You'll want to pay attention to your work commute. Seattle has a reputation for bad commutes. Seattle has some interesting and diverse neighborhoods, so it pays to do your homework now. If you need any suggestions, feel free to contact me. I'm born & raised in Seattle and I know every neighborhood. Good luck!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Jan 27, 2013
Travelnbdh,
"When it's not raining" good answer, lol. Rentals are tight, but it will really depend on what you are looking for. Whatever is on the market now will be long gone by then. Are you planning a trip out early to seek out areas? I would encourage that so you can know where you hope to be and can check with apartment managers about leases coming due when you want to arrive.
If you are looking to rent a home, a local agent can send you listings. I would encourage that to start early so you can gain market knowledge. That way you'll know a fair deal when you see it.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Jan 27, 2013
When its not raining ;) jk. Right now is when apartments are filing up. I have a friend who lives in Seattle and the sooner you start looking the better your chances are. Also, you could get in touch with a realtor who can look for you now.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Jan 27, 2013
Apartments are in short supply right now. There's real demand. I suggest making a trip a couple of months prior to arriving here to ensure you find the perfect place. Do you know the area at all? I'd love to show you around. There are some terrific locations in which to rent including Capitol Hill, Queen Anne, and Madison Valley. Of course, your location really depends on where you will be working. Seattle traffic can be an issue so I suggest you consider this factor before choosing your location. Let me know if you'd like help. Take care!
My experience with East Coast residents are that they ususally prefer an urban setting. Downtown, Belltown or Queen Anne, Admiral and Alki in West Seattle are the neithborhoods most often chosen.
Where will you be working and how do you want to commute to work? What do you like to do after work?
It depends on your budget. At $20/sf per month, there are vacancies in good buildings, and you could move in just about tomorrow. At half that . . . well, not so much. You'd need to be here in mid-May to find a place. The Prescott in Wallingford is about $22/sf, for example . . . http://www.prescottwallingford.com/
We have a very comprehensive website that will allow you to search for rentals....if you save your preferred search criteria (city, rental amount, size) our system will notify as new rentals come onto the market. Let me know if you have any questions! http://www.searchseattle.net/rentals.php
Hello!

And welcome to Seattle. Coming out in May would be best as most tenants usually only have to give 20 days notice that they are vacating to their landlords. So, coming in the beginning to the middle of the month prior to your move in date will give you the best chance of seeing what will be available for June 1st. Rental rates are increasing and in Capitol Hill and Wallingford, which are very desirable neighborhoods, you will find competition for rental units so you just want to make sure you are ready to pull the trigger when you find the right place!

It sounds like even though match hasn't happened that you might be coming in for a residency/fellowship/faculty position at UW and I thought I would mention that we do work with a lot of residents and faculty doctors who are relocating to our area. In turn, we have created a program to help with their specific needs. You can find out more about our Urban Rounds Program at this link: http://www.urbanmarco.com/index.php?page=Urban+Rounds. It is directed mostly towards those buying, as that is our focus as real estate agents, but we do help with rentals as well as we know not everyone relocating is ready to buy. If you would like to hear more about the rental services we offer, please let us know.

Congrats on the move,
Marco Kronen
marco@urbanmarco.com
Good rentals go very quickly and prices are rising. You are as likely to find something on your visit in May as you are at any other time.
It sounds like you know your neighborhoods so if you contact me through my website (not Trulia) I will send you a flier that I have of rental websites that I recommend. Craig's List is not my favorite.
Web Reference: http://www.nwhome.us
Thanks for your notes. We're hoping to rent in Fremont/Wallingford or Capitol Hill most likely given the proximity to UW & Harborview hospitals. We were thinking of coming out in early May & signing a lease then but wanted to make sure it is not too late.