Rentals in Jersey City>Question Details

becoiled, Renter in Jersey City, NJ

My fiance and I are looking to move to Jersey City sometime in July. Need advice on locations!

Asked by becoiled, Jersey City, NJ Mon Apr 29, 2013

We are interested in renting an apartment that is good for commuting to both NYC (by public transportation) and New Brunswick, NJ (by car). We'd like to spend no more than $2300/mo. Any suggestions/advice would be much appreciated!

Answers

10
Hi becoiled I just wanted to see how happy you are with your choice of 50 Columbus ?
we ended up renting at 50 columbus. Thanks for the advice!
This is an interesting problem to have. You are essentially commuting in opposite directions, so any gain for one would mean a loss for the other. However, the good news is that commute from JC to N. Brunswick is reverse.

Knowing the following would help in figuring out better parameters:

1. where is your work address in NYC (intersection would suffice),

2. what type of place are you looking for $2,3000 (studio, 1 BR, 2 BR, house, etc),

3. how much transportation budget do you have. E.g., if you have to take both PATH ($75 / M for unlimited) and NY Metro ($112), then it would be about 2x the price of just PATH. Or, maybe you can take the ferry, which is more expensive, e.g., $250 a month,

4. how much do you value living closer to NYC. E.g., you can live in near Exchange Place or Newport in JC, which will probably be the most expensive option for rent (and cost you extra for parking the car), but allow for 7-minute commute to the nearest Manhattan PATH stops (WTC or Christopher). Or you can live in Journal Square for 30% reduction in rent, but commute to Manhattan gets longer by 10 or more minutes, and area is not as pleasant,

there are some communities in Bayonne and farther in Jersey City which are more suburban and very nice, but commute to Manhattan gets longer by at least 15-20 minutes. however, you will have more of a suburban feel, and cheaper rent.

FYI, commute from J.C. or Bayonne into N. Brunswick will be at least 40 minutes each way.
It depends, we can locate some apartments that have fees and other times no fees. Typically fees can be either equal to 1 month of the rent or sometimes half of the monthly rent.

I also represent a property management firm that always has apartments for rent and cover the realtor fees.

Call me anytime you'd like to talk, 917.209.9391
i'm new to this site... when you all offer to help, is there a charge for the service?
Normally, the fee is paid only if we find you something that you would like to rent.
Flag Tue May 7, 2013
Only is we fine you something that you would like to rent.
Flag Tue May 7, 2013
You have to check out the different areas and see what you like. If you would like any help give me a call. I live in the area. 201 848 2068
I think the Downtown area would be great for you. It has great access to the Turnpike or Rte 1&9 and also the Path station is very convenient to most downtown neighborhoods. I have lived in the area for over 30 years and think I could help you find a great place that works for both of you.

Please contact me and we can talk more.
At that price you can get an apartment in Jersey City or Hoboken for quick public transportation to NYC. You will also be very close to the NJ Turnpike which can get you to New Brunswick easily.

Shoot me an email if you would like some more advice.

sguarini@libertyrealestate.com
Hello

I can show you a bunch of places that are perfect for commuting into NYC and close to all major highways. If you want, call me at 917.209.9391 to further discuss your options. Have a good day =]
Shouldn't be too difficult finding a great place for you. Contact me at (201) 743-9179 to start seeing properties.