Rentals in Phoenix>Question Details

jasonsjackso…, Renter in Phoenix, AZ

My credit is bad right now following short term unemployment. I need assistance/creative help to rent a place with a yard in a safe area?

Asked by jasonsjackson74, Phoenix, AZ Sun Nov 18, 2012

I relocated to the Phoenix area one month ago for work. I would like to rent a dog friendly small house or townhouse with a fenced yard. Due to a short stint of unemployment prior to my current job, my credit stinks right now. Outside of that, everything has been stable. I am worried that it will take long time to find anything suitable in short order, and temporary housing charges are mounting in the interim.
Jason

0 votes Share Flag Rentals in Phoenix

Answers

6
Jason,

A majority of landlords just want to know that you have money to pay for rent. Many landlords will accept a bank account print out of your checking/savings account or previous pay stubs that verify you have made/are making some sort of money. Landlords are mostly worried about filling vacancies, and if you seem respectable with no previous extreme convictions or felonies, and have some sort of savings, you should be good to go. The broker/realtor that I work for recently received Best of the Best in 2013, for #1 Realtor in Arizona (Tanya Marchiol), so if you have any questions that I cannot answer regarding renting/buying/selling, I will put you in contact with her! Let me know if you have anymore questions!

Teddy Shonka

Team Investments Realty Inc
TeddyShonka@gmail.com
319-350-3263
Hi Jason,

Most landlords understand that a lot of people have poor credit these days due to short sales, foreclosures, unemployment, etc. Therefore, I would not worry too much about your credit as long as you don't have any prior evictions or criminal record.

Please go to my web site at: http://www.PositionRealty.com to search the REAL Arizona MLS to view all the homes and townhouses currently for rent. My services are FREE since the landlord will pay the commission to me for bring them a great tenant to lease their home. If I can be of any further assistance, then please free free to contact me.

Sean Heideman, Broker / Owner
Position Realty
480-213-5251
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Nov 18, 2012
Jason,
In what areas are you looking to rent? Please check teh rental that I have on my web-site and let me know if they work for you.
Steffy
Web Reference: http://www.talktosteffy.com
Jason, Current "verifiable income/employment" will be one of the largest factors towards getting a place. Unless you have an eviction or other open judgment; it is likely a "short stint" of unemployment can be overcome. There is always the consideration of a co-signer; should that be an option for you. Most rental agencies and landlords are primary looking for ample verifiable income (upwards of 3 times the monthly rent in income), no eviction or other open judgments and a clean felony record. Credit to be reviewed but not the primary factor or possibly to prompt an increased deposit.
Best of luck in your search. I would be happy to refer you to a couple of rental agencies you can work with.
Jason Rush
Jason,

To put your mind at ease-- credit is not the biggest factor of approval/denial in today's rental market. If you have good rental history, a big enough security deposit and any money in the bank that will help. Believe it or not- your dog may be the biggest challenge. :-) what kind of dog do you have? Where abouts do you want to live? Most importantly what Is your budget? (You will need to make 3x the rent.) Let me know if I can help!
Jason

It sounds like we can overcome your situation as long as we address it up front, you have already started.

Lets start right away to find you housing.