Rentals in Elk Grove>Question Details

Dillars, Renter in Elk Grove, CA

My credit is bad but my boyfriends is excellent, we make over 8500 a month combined and want to live together can the lease be only in his name

Asked by Dillars, Elk Grove, CA Wed Apr 20, 2011

Answers

7
Don't do it unless your mother approves of him. In fact, don't do it unless I approve of him!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Apr 20, 2011
Hi, I am a property manager. In my ofice all occupants over 18 residing in a house must sign the lease agreement and fill out a rental application. This is not only to guarantee that the rent gets paid, but more to make all occupants aware of the responsibilities concerning the property. Also, if the account goes to a collection agency, it will impact all. A for your bad credit, what is the cause. Medical, student loand - no big deal. Credit cards, department store cards, utilities (including mobile phone costs) in collection - not so good. Any accounts in collection? If so, are you making some payments to catch up and can you prove it. Doris Turner, OK Realty, Inc. Bisbee AZ
Generally, if you meet the income requirements, usually 3 times the monthly rent, and at least one person as good to decent credit, a landlord will be willing to work with you. Of course, it also depends on what kind of bad credit you have, landlords will not want to see anything that would indicate you have skipped out on previous rental agreements. My advice is to be upfront with the landlord and be willing to negotiate with a higher deposit if you find a place you really want.
Web Reference: http://www.tim4Ahome.com
As a licensed Elk Grove Agent for the last 18 years I have to be honest as if you were one of my own kids. I would never suggest you lease in this market. Do you realize that a loan of $170K has a payment including taxes and insurance monthly of $1160. You can purchase a 3 or 4 bedroom home in Elk Grove for that amount.
I have also been involved with the mortgage industry for those 18 years and can tell you that there are currently loan programs that allow scores into the high 500's. Also there is a 3% grant (Free Money) available to qualifying buyers as well as some down payment assistance programs. You need to be directed to a GOOD lender that has all these available as many don't have the Grant available. You should meet with qualified lender and have them review your scenario to determine if it's feasible for the two of you to do it together or just your boyfriend. IT'S AN AWESOME TIME TO PURCHASE. Why pay someone else's mortgage payment renting?? If you need any assistance feel free to call me at 916-416-8600 or e-mail at mark@markaforster.com
Yes, you CAN have the lease in only one person's name, but most landlords will require both adult tenants on the lease. Even if you have only have him on the lease, you must reveal the other occupant's names on the lease.
By any chance, did you mean "mortgage" instead of "lease?" If so, you can buy a home using only his credit and income to qualify. Hopefully, that would buy enough house for you. Shoot me an email if you want to see how much he will qualify for. Also, if YOUR credit score is above 600, you may still qualify yourself. Email me at rbourdeaux@1stmarinerbank.com.
A California rental agreement needs to have all occupants over the age of 18 on the contract. That makes each occupant 100% liable for the payment of the lease. That does not mean that it's done that way, but it's in the interest of the landlord to protect his property be executing the rental agreement that way.

A landlord can only discriminate in their selection of a tenant on two premises:
their ability to pay the rent
their ability to maintain the property in the condition that they require

that would make sense to run a credit check on all parties but they may not care as much about a low credit score if you show paying your bills on time. It's really subjective.

But if you are making over $8500/ month WHY ARE YOU RENTING? You could take advantage of the great real estate mrket and buy a home....
Web Reference: http://www.suearcher.com