Rentals in San Jose>Question Details

ADJ, Renter in San Jose, CA

Moving to South Bay, California

Asked by ADJ, San Jose, CA Tue Apr 9, 2013

I was wondering if you could please advise. We are looking to move to the area this Summer. We'd be looking at renting a 3 bed in the best school areas (Palo Altos,Los Gatos/Los Altos) . How much do you think we should aim to budget for?

Ideally I'd have liked a serviced apartment with pool etc but i can't seem to find any in the school districts i want (my child would be going into 1st Grade and i've looked at schools in the Los Gatos Union Elementary, Palo Alto Unified and Union Elementary school districts).

Many thanks
A

0 votes Share Flag Rentals in San Jose

Answers

8
california’s answer
I was born and raised in Los Gatos, as were both of my parents. One of my grandmothers is from Los Gatos and the other actually from Palo Alto. I can't resist providing some insight here. What you're looking for as far as a rental is pretty much what most people in the area would love to have - but doesn't exist.

Apartment buildings in Los Gatos are few and far between. Many of the natives were priced out during the economic boom in the Silicon Valley. Homes that were owned by older people (often Prop 13 protected) are handed down to their children and grandchildren, who keep them and live in them, or are sold and snapped up by executive types. These are very exclusive areas. You didn't mention if you already have jobs lined up but realistically, you should probably look in a different area and send your kids to private schools if you aren't happy with the neighborhood schools.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Apr 13, 2013
thank you so much for replying. I thought that the chances of finding a serviced apartment were low in those areas. i guess we'll need to focus on looking for a regular apartment instead. yes, we are moving out to the South Bay because my hubby's job is being relocated there
Flag Sat Apr 13, 2013
My gut feeling is that you will be looking at neighborhood of $5K. But as Terri suggested - check rentometer.com.
Web Reference: http://www.rentometer.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Apr 9, 2013
Greetings, ADJ,

I'm curious, where are you moving from? I'd be happy to meet with you to discuss your goals and these areas to see how we can accomplish your goals.

In the meantime, as you are shopping for rentals, you can go to this website http://www.RentOMeter.com to get an idea of the price range for rentals.
Web Reference: http://www.terrivellios.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Apr 9, 2013
Don't despair ADJ. What you're asking for is available, but it may not be easy to find.

On the lower end, you should be planning to spend about $4500/month for a three bedroom in the communities that you've selected. However, the price climbs from there. Even the areas you mentioned will vary significantly, with the rent generally climbing higher as you move from the southern to northern communities along the San Francisco Peninsula.
Trulia is a great resource for your search, but once you've exhausted your search there, be sure to check with local property managers. Give them the specifics of what you're looking for. Foster good rapport with them and ask them to keep an eye open for you within their own portfolios as well as among their property management colleagues. Often the very best properties don't make it to the market through the conventional listing services.
Please take a look at what we might have available in our own portfolio and send me details if you'd like me to keep an eye out for what you're looking for.
Again...don't despair. Be persistent in your search and get your detail of desirable features to as many property management professionals as possible.

Best wishes,
John Bowen
Provident Property Management
Thanks John, much appreciated!
Flag Thu Apr 25, 2013
Thanks everyone. We're coming from London but want to hold off buying for 1-2 years until we're sure that we'll stay (and until we get a Green Card and credit history for a mortgage).

That's scary that there are so few rentals in the good school districts. That really concerns me. I've been told that more rentals become available at the end of the school year - when would you advise the best time for me to come out to try to secure one of those rentals (we're coming out for a recon visit and i want to try to time that in with visiting properties and hopefully signing a lease)

Thanks in advance
ADJ, i'm curious, with the terrific interest rates, have you considered purchasing? It appears that schools are important criteria from your inquiry. I have a new and outstanding resource that you might be interesting in checking out.

We are having great success getting our clients with concerns for schools into great homes with excellent schools.

If you are interested in free access to this service regarding schools and homes, please contact me.

If your interested in rentals only, we have found Craig's list to be the most reliable service.

I wish you and your family great success in the bay area.

Rod Hibner
Real Estate Consultant
Keller Williams.
rod@wolffgroup.biz
check out what clients are saying on yelp: search Rod Hibner, WolffGroup
I am a partner in Matusich and Raich Property Management Company we handle about 400 units in the Bay area if you call the office at 1-408-371-0705 and ask for Cindy or Jody to see what they have coming up in the areas you are looking to rent .
Thank you ADJ for your question:

Rentals in those neighborhoods are almost non existent.

Currently there are far more people who want to rent or buy homes in this area than there are homes for sale or rent.

For more information you may reach me at my cell phone: (408)509-6218

Charles Butterfield MBA
Real Estate Broker/REALTOR
American Realty
Cell Phone: (408)509-6218
Fax: (408)269-3597
Email Address: charlesbutterfieldbkr@yahoo.com
DRE#00901872
.