Rentals in Boston>Question Details

Lindsay Cary, Renter in Mineola, NY

Moving to Boston in April/May and looking for a 2 bed, 1 bath apartment. What should we expect to pay?

Asked by Lindsay Cary, Mineola, NY Mon Jan 6, 2014

My husband and I are planning to move to Boston for his career in the April/May timeframe. We are looking for a two bedroom, one to one and half bath apartment that will accept dogs (we have a ~30 lb springer spaniel). The apartment must have a washer and dryer in the unit.

Ideally we would also have access to an off-street parking spot, fireplace, outdoor space and newer amenities as well.

Our target neighborhoods right now are the South End, Back Bay (near Garrison Street), and Fenway/Audubon Circle/Coolidge Corner areas (C and D lines only).

What is realistic for us to expect to spend for an apartment of this size and quality and when should we begin looking?

0 votes Share Flag Rentals in Boston

Answers

13
Hi Lindsay,

I think you should start your search no later than February. You should expect to spend $3,500+ on a pet friendly 2Bedroom apartment in Back Bay/South End.

Feel free to contact me at 617 818 0801 or email sveta@blrboston.com.

1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Jan 10, 2014
Hi there,
Please use our website to get a realistic account of what the market has to offer.
Link is below.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Jan 6, 2014
Price is all relative to location and amenities. It all depends on the commute time you are willing to tolerate. My agency has apartments available that will fit your needs(and accept your springer!) ranging from about 2000 and on up. Feel free to follow the link below to search apartments on our website, where you will find accurate information on hundreds of actually available apartments. Or call any of my agents at 617-247-9999 x2 to speak about your exact needs. You will love this town. We have great restaurants.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Jan 6, 2014
Because of the amenities you want and the need for a pet friendly spot you should expect to spend around 4000- 5000 in the backbay, south end communities. possibly 2500-4000 as you move away from the city. Apartments are available in the city for less but you will need to be flexible on the ammenities you want if budgeting is an issue.

I highly recommend starting to look no later than feburary should you need any assistance we would be glad to help.
Web Reference: http://lynchrg.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Jan 6, 2014
Lindsay,

In these neighborhoods with your criteria, you should expect to pay $2,700 - $4,000 per month. At the higher end you will get better finishes, possible a full-service building, and more parking options.

Since you are looking for a parking space, w/d in unit, and a place that accepts pets, I would definitely start looking now because that won't be so easy.

Many landlords require tenants to give notice of their intent to vacate or stay right around now, so many apartments are coming on the market. I have access to several apartment databases, and I would be glad to send you the ones that are available and help you with your search.

You can also set up a Saved Search on our website to receive daily email updates when new apartments are listed on the MLS matching your criteria.

Best of luck,

Michael P. Welsh, Esq.
McDermott Welsh Realty
http://www.mcdermottwelshrealty.com/searches/new
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Jan 6, 2014
Hi Michael,

Thanks for the response. We are willing to give up the off-street parking included with the rent (we can always rent a space at a nearby garage if necessary). What we really need is a pet-friendly, updated unit with a washer/dryer. Do you have an email address where I could reach out to you directly with some of our wants and needs?
Flag Mon Jan 6, 2014
Hello there,

Welcome to Boston! Start your search here. This a brand new building with Modern finishes, Elevator and garage parking available.

Michael
Hi Lindsay,

You are looking at a range of $2000-$3000 in the neighborhoods you mentioned, but if you were to consider Jamaica Plain or Roslindale which is on the Orange line, and very easy to commute to many different parts of Boston then you can expect to pay more in the $1800-$2000 range. If you have any more questions or are interested in learning more about these neighborhoods please feel free to contact me.

Thank you
Just a suggestion - When looking in the Back Bay/South End neighborhoods, if there is any possibility of a June 1st move in you will have more options to choose from as opposed to April/May.
Boston is expensive but living in the suburbs will not provide you with the same lifestyle as the urban neighborhoods. Another option might be South Boston (especially for the on-site parking option). It very much comes down to your budget. Your dog at 30 lb will probably not be a problems - most of the larger landlords do have a size and breed restriction but I don't think you need to worry on that aspect. You should start your search immediately. Inventory for that move-in date will be low. Could you swing a June 1st move-in date - maybe stay in a short term furnished rental for April and May? You will have a much larger inventory to chose from in that move-in date but you should still start your search right away.We would love to work with you.

The FurChin Team at RE/MAX Unlimited is YOUR real estate solution in Greater Boston.

http://www.FurChin.net
Hello Lindsay,

Based on your current criteria, you will find rental properties from $3,000+. As you look out of the city, you should be able to find rentals from $1,700+.

You will also get more space out of the city. Other options that you may have is Waltham, Watertown, just to name a few.

I would recommend you start looking as soon as possible so you can get a sense on what you can get in your preferred areas. As Spring time comes, you will see more inventory.

Should you want further assistance, please feel free to contact me.

Elena

Elena M. Lau
Multilingual Licensed and Accredited Real Estate Consultant
Realty Direct
857.204.6188
elena.l.realestate@gmail.com
http://www.myagentbuzz.com
I have a unit that's $4200 in the Back Bay that meets your criteria.

If you would like more info please contact me.

857-334-5827
mario@blrboston.com
Hi Lindsay,

for an apartment as you describe and in the neighborhoods which you are interested in the rent will average between $3500-$5000, give or take a few of the amenities you mentioned. To included all of the amenities you want, and for a new or recently renovated unit, you can expect the rent to be $5000 +.

You can start looking up to two months prior to your moving date, and then the closer you get, the more options will become available.

South End and Back Bay are going to be more expensive, especially with off street parking. For a 2 BR you are looking around $3000-$3500. Fenway and Brookline will be slightly cheaper, probably in the 2500-3000 range.

I would start looking sometime in February if I were you. If you would like help finding a place please contact me and I will be happy to help!
Flag Wed Jan 8, 2014