Rentals in Atlanta>Question Details

johnhb1234, Renter in Atlanta, GA

Moving to Atlanta from NYC/Manhattan. I would appreciate advice on where to live

Asked by johnhb1234, Atlanta, GA Sun Dec 8, 2013

I'd like to live in Sandy Springs/Dunwoody, Buckhead or Midtown. I am looking to rent a nice 1 bedroom apartment and money is not an issue. I have to commute to Norcross off of 141 and would like to average about 30 minutes each way or not much more. Midtown near Piedmont Park sounds nice as I like to bike and walk, but the extra commute might exclude morning workouts. What would my average commute be each way for each neighborhood and what would a worse than average or bad day commute be for each?

Any suggestions for where to live; buildings vs. townhouses, can I safely park a nice car in both types of housing and all 3 neighborhoods? I currently live in a high-rise building in NYC and am single. I like a social area during the day but quiet at night. Please, no frat house buildings! Late 20's to 40's is fine.

Thanks for your help!

0 votes Share Flag Rentals in Atlanta

Answers

3
Drop Lee an email or better yet a call, he's the go to for your situation. I'm also a ex-pat NY'er (Williamsburg and LI) and I can vouch for Lee as I've worked with him on many deals; he knows his stuff, knows the areas hands down and works his arse off.

Pick up the phone, you don't want some syrupy deal a year agent "blessing your heart" and telling you how much you'll love the biscuits and gravy - you need to know where to live.
Web Reference: http://www.hmtatlanta.com
Hank, thank you for the referral to Lee.
Flag Sat Dec 14, 2013
If all that you need is a one bedroom, then Brookhaven, the northern edges of Buckhead north of Piedmont, and the area near Chastain Park and southern Sandy Springs are good fits for your criteria. All will net about 20-30 minutes commutes to a place like Technology Park in Norcross on a regular day.

All of these areas have surface streets that enable you to connect to 141 without needing an extra highway commute to access it.

You can add 15-30 minutes more for the traffic effect on any given day.

Friday afternoon commutes home will typically be the worst days in general for that commute.

Furthermore, we are a buy vs. rent city in a rather disproportionate way - just like NYC favors the opposite ratio. Check Trulia's buy vs. rent ratio for the general calculation - http://www.trulia.com/rent_vs_buy/

I think that you are likely to pay 3-4 times the amount per month to rent a single bedroom at any given building than you will if you owned in the same complex.

Buy, dude.
Lee, thanks for your reply. I also posted on Yelp. People overwhelming favored Midtown as I said I liked to walk though NYC and Central Park. However, I suspect this might be too long of a commute, even if I'm up around 12th street near Piedmont park. Buying: the prices in Atlanta are quite good compared to NYC but I'm not sure if I want to buy my first year when it's a new job.

I am pretty sure I want a high-rise building vs. the multitude of low/mid-rise apartment complexes that have multiple 3 story units on a centralized property. Too isolated from people, too easy to hear your neighbors coming and going, too easy for vandalism to your car, would be my guess.

I lived in PA for a year at this type of property and I didn't like it - perhaps it's different in Atlanta. My main priority is a reasonable commute to and from work. I can always go to midtown, etc. on the weekends. I like to be around people during the day and quiet at night. Any additional thoughts? Thanks!
Flag Sat Dec 14, 2013
This would be a long discussion over email, good questions though. Id love to answer them all for you. Good thing is there are tons of rentals out there with owners trying to hold off from selling. The commute on a terrible day would run you over an hour but again we'd have to break down exactly what you wanted and where and go from there. Call or email me and I can send you listings of both areas to start you off.

Jaquillia Jones-Garrott

Keller Williams Realty Atlanta Perimeter
115 Perimeter Center Pl, Ste. 100
Atlanta, GA 30346

M: 404-457-0869
O: 678-298-1600
F: 678-298-1616
E: j.jones-garrott@kw.com
W: http://jjones-garrott.kwrealty.com
Find me on LinkedIn

Please download my Mobile App and start your house hunt!

Atlanta has a shortage of homes for sale to accommodate buyers, so if you know someone thinking of selling, pass my information on to them. Don't keep me your secret! Thanks for helping me bring Pride of Home-ownership to someone near you!
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Dec 8, 2013
Jaquillia, thanks for your reply, I expect to be down in Atlanta in January to start looking. Thanks again!
Flag Sat Dec 14, 2013