Rentals in 10014>Question Details

Eunsub Shin, Other/Just Looking in 10014

Moving into new apartment having some issues[1] Carpeting.

Asked by Eunsub Shin, 10014 Tue Jun 5, 2012

Last month [5-10-12] I signed a lease for
Glencoe Hill Apartment in Ann Arbor, MI.
Immediately I noticed that carpet was dirty. I've been calling them whenever I was free to ask for new carpet, but constantly I was answered by different employees, none of them giving me a full answer to my problem.

"Carpet is only 2 years old!" "We'll check it out"

They NEVER came and visted or if they did, has not said anything back to me after two "We'll check it out" visits.

Also I've lived on one household approximately for 10years before I decided to build a new house for a family, and the carpet that was never cleaned or replaced was cleaner than the carpet I've seen in my new apartment. If I'm willing to pay the extra amount for them to replace the carpet, don't I have the right to have a clean carpet that some other stranger hasn't used?

1 vote Share Flag Rentals in 10014

Answers

7
Jared Winterton’s answer
Sorry you had so many problems. Unfortunately as the new tenant getting the carpets cleaned would be your own responsibility unless that was part of the understanding before moving in (and if so that should be in writing). I had a similar problem but my landlord finally relented and got local carpet cleaners in Vernon over. Best of luck.
Did you request that the carpet be cleaned prior to your moving in....if your inquiries are going unanswered, and if the carpet is in fact dirty and not to your liking, consider having it cleaned yourself.....
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Jun 6, 2012
It all depends on how willing the owners are willing to work with you. When I moved into some apartments for rent in Abbotsford B.C. they were very nice and willing to help me out with any issues. Is there no way to talk to them face to face?
You should check the apartment before you signed the leas. If you accepted the apartment as is, then you can only clean the carpet your self. Before you do, take a picture of the carpet and make a written complain to the owner. Kip one copy for you self to protect your security deposit.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Dec 1, 2012
I would sugest you read the terms of your lease. Besides that, take pictures of the current state of the carpet so you won't get charge with your security deposit when you leave the apartment.

Laura Thierer
Licensed Real Estate Salesperson
Ardor NY Realty
You have an unrealistic expectation for a rental. You can have the carpet cleaned when you are renting an apartment at your expense. Why did you accept the property if the condition is as bad as you say?
It depends on the terms of your lease. In some cases you may need approval from the landlord