Rentals in Irvine>Question Details

Chicago7, Home Buyer in Irvine, CA

Moving from Chicago to Irvine - need to live near 2000 Michelson Drive (short drive preferred). 2 kids, 2 & 5 yrs old. Considering renting or

Asked by Chicago7, Irvine, CA Sun Feb 19, 2012

buying I would like to be more familiar with the areas before buying. I like to be close to shopping, restaurants, parks and schools. Any thoughts? Also, what is the rental market like if I look at that?

1 vote Share Flag Rentals in Irvine

Answers

25
University Park is the most likely the best option for you. the location is close to freeways and the main intersection is Culver and Michelson which would make it easy for you to get to work in just minutes. You are also walking distance to the elementary school, not to mention the entire community planned with families in mind surrounded by 27000 acres of parks. You would be minutes away from some of the best restaurants shopping and even great beaches.

Please feel free to contact me directly as I live in university park and would be happy to send you more information.

good luck
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Feb 19, 2012
Everywhere in Irvine is great. However, I suggest you rent to get settled down with your new life and take the time to look around. Give yourself at least a year.

If you work at 2000 Michelson and you have a young family, the best places for you to live is an area called "University Park" and another area called "Paseo Westpark". Although there are condos closer to your work, like the ones at Scholarship or Watermark, I don't recommend them for rental or living as it is not ideal for raising kids.

I am a real estate agent in Irvine. The way it works here is that real estate agents get paid by owners to find tenants. You do not need to pay for a real estate agent to show you rentals. I agree with Emily and say that you should work with a real estate agent to find a rental as we have a high rate of scams going on here.

Expect to pay around $2500/mo for a decent three bedroom two bath rental. Homes go around 650k for a good detached 3-4 bedroom home.

Good luck on your move. You'll love it here.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Feb 19, 2012
Please DO try to work with a Realtor even if you end up renting, if you look for any rentals on your own, please click on my profile & read my 2 blog postings here on Trulia called "RENTAL SCAMS - RED FLAGS - PUBLIC BEWARE", it will keep you safe from rental scammers who are out in force.

Shoot me an email directly if you want to talk about this some more. I don't look back on this same Trulia thread for answers posted after mine.

EmilyKnell1@yahoo.com
562-430-3053 c
Realtor Since 1996
Main Street Realtors
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Feb 19, 2012
Irvine is an excellent choice, it offers one of the best schools for kids as they are growing up, Irvine is a Planned community with many areas and different prices to meet all budget needs. Since Renting is also your consideration, there are plenty of good ones avaialble, some even with pools for kids to enjoy and for the family to soak the Southern California sun.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat May 26, 2012
Where did you end up moving to? North Tustin is a nice area to raise a family.
Aliso Viejo offers a lot more for your money. It will add 15 to 20 minutes to your commute, but may be worthwhile. It is a community which offers many restaurants, convenient shopping and convenient movie house.
Lots of families with young kids, and an acceptable school district. Our own daughter, nieces and nephews live there.
Web Reference: http://www.ethelkrawitz.com
Parts of Tustin will still have the advantages of Irvine unified school district and will still be very easy for your commute, however I wouldnt put Lake Forest at the top of the list. If you consider Tustin at all I would only consider Tustin Ranch or Tustin Field which both border Irvine, and are close to shopping dining and many parks for the kids.

if you would like to speak to someone without obligation just to get some friendly advise feel free to contact me as I have helped many people relocate from the mid-west.

Good luck in your search
Please email the requirements ... how many bed rooms, baths etc. thanks

Deepak Chauhan
949 748-9834
deepak@housesinsocal.com
Web Reference: http://housesinsocal.com/
You will get more for your money in Tustin, Lake Forest and Aliso Viejo than in Irvine. Irvine is pricier. Again, I can email you the current lease listings available that meet your search criteria if you're interested. Let me know.
Thank you all for the information. Irvine sounds like a great place to live. We will most likely rent for a year and then look to buy. A few people I know also mentioned other areas to me such as Tustin, Lake Forest and Aliso Viejo. What can you tell me about those areas compared to something like University Park. I prefer to rent a home or townhome rather than a condo or apartment.
Hello;
Its a great idea to rent. I suggest you rent for at least half a year before you buy. The rental in Irvine for a three bedroom would run from $2,200 to $3000+ depending what does the property offer and location. Schools are good in most of south county cities. You might want to consider Mission Viejo as well since you get more for your money. Mission Viejo, Aliso Viejo, Lake Forest and Laguna Hills can be between 15-20 minutes drive with a great school system and fantastic family friendly environment. What I mean, you would have time to look at your options while living in rental.
Good Luck
Shadi Kian
Real Estate and Mortgage Broker
As Deepak said, Irvine Apartment Communities may be a rental option for you BUT be very careful. IAC no longer allows early termination of leases. They do offer different lease terms such as 7, 9, & 13 months so make sure if you do sign, you only sign for the shortest term you will stay there.

If you do leave before the end of your lease, the costs will be overwhelming as you will be "rent responsible" for the entire remaining term of the lease.
One option is to lease an affordable apartment, contact http://www.rental-living.com/Communities/Park-West/ they are managed by http://www.irvinecompany.com/, there are few more lease options opportunities in-case you want to spend more $$s.
Request Parkwest for vacancies in 3601 block, it is adjacent to a child care center, not too far from Elementary School either. Park West like most of other apartment complexes have yearly leases, if you leave early you may end up paying some penalties ... do your homework.
Also there are some short term furnished leases offered by some investors available in Irvine and surrounding cities for East Coast Vacationers. They charge little more rent, but shorter lease terms.
My office and home are close to Michelson Dr, feel free to contact me if you have any local Qs. All the best !

Deepak Chauhan
949 748-9834
deepak@housesinsocal.com
Hello Chicago 7,

Irvine is rated one of the safest cities. Irvine has great schools too.. I would suggest to rent and then see what is available while your renting and there is a way to be compensated for when and if you decide to break the lease... Call or email me and we can discuss your situation and options...
Talk to you soon..

Ingrid Ski Realtor
949-874-0432
OCAreaHomes@gmail.com
Irvine overall is a very safe and convenient city to live in. It's close to major free ways, parks, restaurants, schools and other amenities... But you may still want to consider renting for 6-12 months before buying... This time frame will allow you and your family get settled and start looking around... I currently have a three bedroom condo in Northpark guard-gated community, it's almost 1600 sf and completely remodeled... rent is $2450. Will be ready for move in March 1.

I am a real estate consultant in Irvine area, specializing rentals and working with first time buyers. You can get to know more about me at: http://www.AliciaQu.com.

Good luck on your move, and let me know if you need further assistance.

Alicia Qu
626-236-2178
Web Reference: http://aliciaqu.com
If you end up leasing a home at Irvine, be sure to hire and use and experienced professional REALTOR.

Also see my article about Options in California Real Estate Contract transactions - http://irvine-homevalues.com/2012/02/19/options-in-californi…
Your move to Irvine and where you want to buy or lease a home will probably involve public and private schools for your kids. Check out public schools at Irvine Unified School district site - http://www.IUSD.org. I recommend using google maps to see location of schools in relationship to your place of work and possible location for your new home at irvine.

As REALTORs and real estate professionals, we will be here to help you with information for your decisions. Contact me at 949-701-2515 for further information.

Harrison K. Long, Coldwell Banker NRT, Quail Hill Center, Irvine.
http://www.Irvine-HomeValues.com
Web Reference: http://www.LiveAtIrvine.com
Would really need to know mo
re about your actual requirements, price range, number of bedrooms , etc.
Everything is a short drive in Irvine, so proximity to schools and good family living may be more important.
We would be pleased to show you around and help you get to know the area before you make any decisions.
Ethel & Colin Krawitz (serving Orange Cpounty Real Estate sinc 1980)
First Team Real Estate
(949)644-8868
Chicago7 I moved here from Chicago 14 years ago still have family there and visit often.. There is lots to consider when relocating. Do you have kids etc?. Would love to share my thoughts and experience.

Raquel Pasala
#01806253
949-463-1241
Like I said in my previous message, I am Irvine Specialist. I live in Irvine myself and my office is located in Irvine. I know Irvine by me heart. So, feel free to call me or e-mail me and I would be more than happy to discussed all the opportunities that are in Irvine right now even for rentals. I can be reached at 714-343-1438. Call me whenever you are available and would like to provide you with more helpful informations. Thanks and looking forward speaking with you.
Just looking at 3+ beds / 2+baths condos and homes, there are currently 143 active listings from $290,000 to over $3 Million. As for rentals, you should expect to pay roughly $2 per square foot per month.

Let me know how I can help !

Thom Colby
Broker / Owner
Newport Beach and Palm Desert CA
888-391-5245
http://www.thomcolby.com
Hi There! I am a realtor from Fort Wayne, Indiana move down to Irvine 18 years before. Average people from East Central needs to compromise himself for 3 to 5 years to buy a property in Irvine. But I will encourge you start to look for some properties now.
Chicago7 -

I used to live in Minneapolis - I've since lived in Orange County for the past 15 years & love it. I was in the same boat as you. Although it's a tight rental market - I suggest you do a 3 - 6 month lease. I would not "dive" into home ownership right out of the gate.

My office is right off Michelson. I know the area like the back of my hand. I'm not a real estate agent, so my comments are unbiased. I would need more information to direct you to the best place for you & your family. Irvine is a great city but like all cities - It has it's pitfalls that will not be posted on this board.

Since I'm a mortgage banker - I will with all agents in all surrounding cities. I know who can get the job done with your family in mind. In short, it depends on the city of your choice. Fell free to call my cell 949.212.4578. No sale here - just offering some free consultation + the "low down" on all surrounding cities. despite being a Viking fan.

Grant Fawcett
Castle & Cooke Mortgage
Cell: (949) 212-4578
You can provide me your email address and I can connect you to the listings that are available in the area. I am Irvine specialist realtor. The amount of money that you need to spend for rental OR buy depends on how many bedrooms you need and how big of a house. you can keep in touch with me through my email address at realestatebyben@gmail.com or you can also call me at 714-343-1438 if you would like to talk over the phone. Looking forward to help you move from chicago to california for either rent OR buy. Thanks and have a wonderful day.
There are a lot of condos available in the Michelson area. Are you looking for a condo or a single family home? Irvine is a great place to live and their school district has received the Distinguished Blue Ribbon designation. I'd be happy to send you what's available if you provide me with your price range (for rental and for purchasing) and search criteria i.e. minimum # of bedrooms, etc. My email is: cfleming@coldwellbanker.com.