Rentals in Seattle>Question Details

Rebecca, Renter in Chicago, IL

Looking to rent single family home in Seattle area. Any ideas of where to look?

Asked by Rebecca, Chicago, IL Wed May 15, 2013

My husband and I are from Chicago and have lived there our whole lives. Seattle is very new to us, and I do not know where to begin looking. We want an area that has great walkability and close to lots of restaurants, shops, and bars. However, for a large place with a fenced yard and more room, we would be willing to live on the outskirts of Seattle proper. Heard that the North/Northeast/East area of Seattle is best. We are in our early 30's with no kids yet... any suggestions of where to start narrowing our search?

0 votes Share Flag Rentals in Seattle

Answers

9
Johan Tong’s answer
Hi Rebecca,

Welcome to Seattle!!! I moved from California a few years ago, and I love this city since. I hope you will also find Seattle inspiring and attracting.

In terms of recommending rental places, this is how I break it down for you:

"great walkability and close to lots of restaurants, shops, and bars" --

If you like to feel the vibe of downtown, look in downtown Seattle North of Virginia and East of 2nd St, or Belltown north of Bell Street.
If you like more relaxing neighborhood, search in Capital Hill around Boardway or 12th Ave, or Queen Anne around Queen Anne Ave.

"for a large place with a fenced yard and more room" --

For a lake view and walking by the lake, Iook into Greenlake in North Seattle
For local restaurant and cafes, look into Ballard in Northwest Seattle
For a nice, safe and quiet neighborhood you may consider Wedgewood in Northeast Seattle
For a view of the Puget Sound, I will recommend North Delridge in West Seattle.

I hope this is helpful. You can search for rental on Craigslist. To find rentals listed by brokers you can go to my website and search by neighborhood.
Depending on what your budget is like I would recommend the Phinney Ridge, Ballard, Capitol Hill, or Fremont areas. You should be able to find something in those areas, but budget is everything. Feel free to reach out should you need any additional help.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed May 15, 2013
Budget will largely be determined by my husband's final job offer and of course, then we will know when we will be relocating. Thank you for helping me narrow some of my search! We will definitely want to work with an agent, because I don't know how many times we will be able to get out there to see properties...
Flag Wed May 15, 2013
If one of you works in Seattle and the other is on the Eastside, consider Mercer Island since it's right in the middle. Yes, it is more expensive, but for good reasons: ease of commute being a big one for a lot of people. Parts of the Island are also quite walkable. However, another big reason people choose Mercer Island is the great schools. If you don't have kids yet but are planning to have a family, consider Mercer Island.
So much depends on where you plan to work as well. You can't go wrong with Ballard, Greenlake or even West Seattle. You asked where to look as well. I take that as searching, maybe? Check Craigslist (careful of scams), Trulia, Zillow and even Hotpads. Good luck! Seattle won't disappoint you in the summer.
Hi Rebecca,

Sounds like you have a lot of recommendations for the Seattle area already. If I can add my two cents, the Eastside has a lot of great neighborhoods as well. Although it won't be as busy as Seattle proper, it's great if you're looking for more room. The most walkable areas I would say are Downtown Bellevue, Downtown Kirkland, and Downtown Redmond. These areas are convenient with groceries, restaurants, shops, and bars close by, but the rents in these areas will be higher than more residential areas.

Choosing an Eastside community or any place to live for that matter, would also depend on where you and your husband work. If you're commuting to Seattle, traffic can get pretty congested, so I would suggest staying in Seattle. If you work on the Eastside, living nearby and enjoying some extra space is great. If you have a car, it's still a quick drive to get what you need even if you don't live within walking distance to a commercial area.

As a side note, we do have a few rentals that you may be interested in, but they are in quieter parts of these cities. Let us know if you want more information and we'll be glad to help. Good luck in your search.
Seattle is a metropolitan city and surrounded with small neighborhoods that are close to variety of amenities. There are established neighborhoods and as well as newly developments taking place now. You can contact the visitor bureau and ask them send you information about the city and a map. After you research the area, the next step is too visit the area and neighborhoods to be sure they meet your requirements. I hope this helps.
I'm originally from Chicago. What neighborhood are you living in now? What type of property? Seattle is a bit different for sure and transit is a totally different animal - no trains so you're using buslines and cars primarly. It also depends on where you're working and how much you want to spend. I would be happy to help try to map you over into a neighborhood here if I can get a sense of where you are now and where you'll be working. For example, if you're working at Amazon, I might suggest Queen Anne, Capitol HIll (certain parts) Madison Park or Wallingford/Fremont. If one of you is working at Microsoft, I wouldn't recommend Ballard as it can be a challenge commuting that far West to the far Eastside. At any rate, I have a big group of Chicago transplants here that get together to watch sports and stay connected. Feel free to let me know if I can help. Cheers!
Our budget is $2000/month give or take... We are both in our early 30's and love to go out and take in the local flavor. I would love to be in walking distance of lots of great places to eat/drink. Of course, we are looking to start our family so school districts are also a talking point. I would love to talk to you soon to try to get the ball moving...
Flag Thu May 16, 2013
A fellow Chicagoan! Yeah!!! My husband will be working in Kent and I'll be working from home/sales territory that covers the greater Seattle area. For my job, I have to live in King, Snohomish or Pierce counties. The transit is not an issue because I'll be in my car most of the time anyway. Besides, we have always lived in neighborhoods of Chicago that are a bit outside easy public transit anyway. We lived in Logan Square for several years, but have been in Ukranian Village (near Chicago Ave and Western Ave) for the last 3 years. We both commute for work now in our cars, so transit is a non factor for us regardless. We are currently in a 2bd/2 full ba condo with 1500 sq. ft. and garage parking. It is a typical 3 unit walk up. Ideally, we are looking for something with at least 3bd/2ba because we would like to start our family and we'll need home office space. A fenced yard is ideal because we have a 30lb dog who is greatly in need of some green space!
Flag Wed May 15, 2013
There are a variety of great neighborhoods in Seattle. Ballard is bustling, and more affordable. North Admiral is very walkable with comfortable homes, lots of shops, yet relaxed. Madison Park is walkable, with a village ambiance, but may be pricey. Queen Anne is walkable, too. Green Lake and Phinney Ridge are popular, but there is not much nightlife. Capitol Hill has nightlife, with an edge. Without knowing more about your lifestyle, it's hard to make anything beyond a general recommendation. You should make time to visit some of these neighborhoods before you jump into a lease situation.
Ballard / wallingford / greenlake ( all are pricy as they are close to downtown )

NE area ( maple leaf / ravenna / wedgewood / Bryant ) good as well ......