Rentals in 88011>Question Details

Mili, Home Buyer in 88011

Looking to purchase a R1 zoned home in Sunland Park, NM and run counseling business out of it and not live there. Can this be done?

Asked by Mili, 88011 Fri Dec 9, 2011

am a licensed counselor in new mexico and would be seeing clients at location. wouldn't be primary residence. Would also like to rent out a room to another business for income purposes. Am wondering if this can be done?

0 votes Share Flag Rentals in 88011

Help the community by answering this question:


Short answer: NO (I really doubt it)

Long answer: The zone code for the municipality specifically identifies allowable uses in each zone.

I did not see a link to an online version of the zone code at the city website (, but it might be there. The Community Development link (under City Departments) mentions a planning and zoning commission, and has contact information for their department. To be certain, you will need to review the zone code and pose the question to somebody at the city who has the authority to grant or deny your request.

I expect the R-1 zone, because it is typically very restrictive, will not allow businesses with onsite customers. The intent of most R-1 codes is to limit the intensity of use (traffic, parking, etc.) and preserve the residential character and attributes for all properties in the zone.

Another way to look at it.....If your house was in an R-1 neighborhood, would you want your neighbor to run a business and lease rooms to other businesses. Probably not.

Also, if you are getting a residential loan, your lender will likely require you occupy the property too.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Dec 9, 2011
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2014 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer