Rentals in Columbus>Question Details

lindsyschuma…, Renter in Reynoldsburg, OH

Looking to move this spring but I found the place I want NOW.

Asked by lindsyschumacher, Reynoldsburg, OH Fri Feb 15, 2013

Our lease is up on our current rental at the end of May but I found a place that I want now and I'm afraid that if I don't snatch it up someone else will but I don't have the cash to pay rent up until may. Is there anyway I can make the move now without selling an organ to do so? Thanks.

0 votes Share Flag Rentals in Columbus

Answers

5
If you were to put a home in contract say next week it would take you about 6 weeks to close on the property. That would be early to mid April. Your first payment on your new home would be June 1. Have you spoken with a lender and been pre approved for a loan ? This is the first step in the home buying process. If you are working with an agent they can guide you thru the provess if you are not working with an agent and should you care to discuss further please feel free to contact me at 614-323-0420 or e mail me at dale.cook@kingthompson.com. Dale Cook
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Feb 15, 2013
The prior answers are all good answers to your problem. Now if you are talking about a home purchase you can make the offer with the contingency that the seller would remain in the property after closing and pay you rent until you are able to take posession. This happens from time to time with sellers. Sometimes they ned more time to decide where they are going to go and it may help make the deal now. If it is a vacant property, this purchase contingency probably wouldn't work for you.
Hi Lindsy,

Call your current landlord. Explian to him what you want to do. Then ask if he/she will amend the current lease to allow you to leave early. Make sure it is in writing and consult an attorney. Maybe you can offer the landlord X amount of dollars to leave early. For example: lets say you have 2months to go on your current lease in the amount of $1000.00 per/mo for a total that you owe of $2000.00. Ask if you can pay just $1000.00 and maybe even break it up into chunks of $250.00 for four months. Everything is negotiable. Just make sure whatever you agree to is in writing that the landlord is willing to amend the lease to allow you to terminate the conditions and accept partial payment. Also, if you can make headway with your current landlord then look into entering into a lease on your new home with the condition that you and your current landlord reach acceptable terms.
That way maybe you can tie it up before someone else looks at it.

Wishing you all the best,
Jeffrey Paeltz
ps

please don't sell an organ - no rental is worth it!

:)
Dale, I started to respond as you did........but then I looked at the question again, and realized it says: "Rentals in Columbus".........so.......I came to the conclusion that the poster is asking about possibly breaking her lease.............. and moving into another RENTAL, not buying a home............the place she "wants now before someone snatches it up"!!

Lindsy, if I am wrong in this conclusion, please let me know.......if I am right............well, you have a signed lease...............your best bet is to be upfront, and ask your landlord if you can move early!