Rentals in Richardson>Question Details

Mary Jean Ba…, Renter in Richardson, TX

Looking to find a rental HOUSE in the Richardson area for $1100/mo or less. Move date will be week of March 10-18, 2012.

Asked by Mary Jean Baker, Richardson, TX Thu Dec 8, 2011

Hardwoods/Laminate are preferred over carpet, but not required. Also prefer to have all kitchen appliances included. Have 1 small dog (under 20 lbs).
Would it be best to start looking now or is this too far in advance? I have to turn my notice in to my apartments in January.
Also, would landlords potentially come down on the price if I was willing to sign a 2 year lease, perhaps. I am finding homes in the area in the $1300/mo range that are appealing, so I was wondering if bargaining may work.

Answers

3
Mary Jean,

The lease market has completely changed over the past year or two.
Now I advise clients to only look about 30 days out.
Otherwise what is available now will be gone when you are ready in March.
If you have to give 60 days notice at your current place you will likely need to give notice first and then look.
That's just the way the market works now. The best houses rent very very fast. It's not unusual for them to
rent the 1st day on the market if they look good.
In the past it was not uncommon to bargain $50/$100, but these days we are finding if you take time to bargain, the properties will disappear and get rented to someone else. Demand is high and availability is low. Rents have been going up sometimes as much as $200/month. It doesn't mean you can't ask, but when we see people ask. I just rented one today that when I asked the landlord if they would discount $50/month he changed his mind and went up $100 based on how fast they rented another property in the same neighborhood. I also had one recently where the landlord got 3 apps on the same day and went back to all the tenants to see what they wanted to offer....higher deposit, more rent, longer lease etc.
We are also seeing fewer landlords accept pets...I'm guessing less than 20pct will accept now due to the demand....so I think the chances of you taking $200/month off the rent is probably not realistic in today's marketplace.
All that is probably not what you wanted to hear, but it's just the reality of the market these days.

Below you can see a link to homes for rent in Richardson at about $1100/month or less.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Dec 8, 2011
Bruce Lynn, Real Estate Pro in Coppell, TX
You are in a little bit of a pickle because so many apartment leases require 60 day notice, but most single-family homes for rent are 30 days. This leads to the problem that you have to give notice before you know where you're going.

Right now there are about 30 rental properties available in the city of Richardson under about $1,500, but 30 days out from your move there may be more of them or fewer.

As frightening as it may be, you may have to give notice before you actually have agreed on a lease at a new place. Apartments may be willing to agree up to 60 days prior to move-in.

Try the link below to see rentals on a map. Just type Richardson under Geography, and slide the maximum price (on right) down to $1,500. You can ignore the ones that are above your limit (although some may be willing to come down on price).
It is a little early to start looking now most landlords will not hold a property for longer than 30 days. Give me a call my name is Jag Farias my number is 214 663-3493 and I am with Ebby Halliday Realtors I would love to explain the whole leasing process with you.