Rentals in Bensonhurst>Question Details

Justin Hill, Renter in Brooklyn, NY

Looking for small apt in Brooklyn, moving from Arizona and need a place by June 4 - any help appreciated!!

Asked by Justin Hill, Brooklyn, NY Wed May 23, 2012

Answers

8
Rent today; Buy tomorrow. How to convert from Tenant to Homeowner.

When I rented my first apartment in Astoria, I did not want to be a Tenant my whole life and pay my Landlord’s mortgage. I longed to become a Homeowner.

That’s why I found my way into the mortgage business in 1989 and soon afterward became a Homeowner. Here are the fundamentals any Tenant should know to prepare to become a Homeowner in the future, no matter when that might be.

• Credit: Establish 3 credit accounts, no more than 5. Pay your bills on time. Keep your balances to no more than 50% of your credit limit. Don’t pay off the accounts in full. Keep balances active for 12-24 months. All of the above will provide both a good credit score and adequate credit history to qualify for a mortgage loan.

• Assets: A basic savings budget isn’t hard to do. Pay your rent first in your budget; then set aside 10% of your income before taxes . Make it a budget priority and you’ll still have money left over for entertainment and restaurants and clothing.

How much money do you need to buy a home? Many buyers spend no more than $25,000 to buy their first homes. There are loan programs with low down payment requirements and many real estate agents negotiate for their Buyers a “Seller’s concession” to include the Buyer’s closing costs (which are HIGH here in New York!) in the price of the home.

• Income: Two years consistent income is the basic requirement for either a salaried individual or a self-employed person. Income from Bonus, Commission, and Overtime is treated differently and is best discussed with your Mortgage Banker.

• Market Survey: it doesn’t hurt to go out and get to know neighborhoods where you might like to buy a home. Visit open houses on Saturdays and Sundays. It’s okay that you’re not yet buying; tell the Realtor at the Open House you’re just beginning your “survey.” You’ll also get to know market prices for different kinds of homes. It’s okay to “window shop” homes on the weekend at Open Houses!

I hope these fundamentals will help you better understand the path to homeownership is a process that, with preparation and dedication, you can move through easily. And if you’re interested in getting Prequalified today to create an Action Plan for your future of Homeownership, call me anytime!

Trevor Curran
http://www.tcurranmortgage.com

*If you thought my answer was helpful, please give me a “Thumbs Up” or “Best Answer.” Thanks!
Good afternoon. What size apt. would you be interested? Which locations would you prefer? Hope I can be of service. Thanks
2 beds 1 bath E8 & Kings Hwy walk-up close to shopping & mass transit, 3 rooms +kitchen & bath. Various rents...
And more!

Jack Menashe
917.797.0215
Jack@SHERestates.com
http://www.SHERestates.com
I have two jr ones available in bayridge, email me at mayifacilitate@gmail.com.

Thanks.

Mark May
We have a few units currently available in Brooklyn South. Certain credit and income requirements apply. Feel free to call us at 718-234-9617.
Welcome to New York,

You should establish your needs: size of apartment, neighborhood, secure building or not, budget, pet friendly or not. Once you have that narrowed down it would be very helpful for an Agent to assist you with your needs. Some apartments have a Broker Fee and some do not.

Good Luck with your Hunt!

Kimbley Jackson, Licensed Real Estate Agent
GoldStar Properties of NY
347-724-7677
kimbley@gspnyc.com
I'd be happy to assist you. Please connect with me via email.

Wendy Thompson
Exit All Seasons Realty
Brooklyn, NY
Wendy@RealEstateReorganized.com
Congrats on the move, big difference from Arizona. If you would like a referral, please let me know & can find a referring agent for you to worth with there.

if not, are you pre-approved? That should be your first step with a local lender. Next, find an agent to help you. You may want to use Trulia to search for a proefessional, or Zillow.com, read past client reviews and reach out to them. Call on the phone, explain your timeline, your expectations, and criteria.

If by "apt" you meant you are looking to rent, and not buy, skip the lender & finding a Realtor and Google Property Management company's Brooklyn to find one that can help you find what you are looking for.

Best of luck.

Spirit