Rentals in Brooklyn>Question Details

Jeffrey Kapl…, Home Buyer in West, TX

Looking for rentals in Brooklyn, NY with issues need help

Asked by Jeffrey Kaplan, West, TX Tue Jul 2, 2013

i am in the Air Force transferring fo NYC in the 4 weeks. I am disabled and have issues going up stairs. 2ndly, i have 2 dogs one 18lbs the other 90lbs. 3rdly, i have a banqruptcy on my credit from 2010. will i be able to find an apartment in Brooklyn to rent for my family. Im in D.C. moving North soon.

0 votes Share Flag Rentals in Brooklyn

Answers

6
Yes you still can be able to find apartments in Brooklyn, you would have to provide more documents such as rent receipts, letter from your landlord or provide extra security upfront.
All of your "issues" will depend mostly on your budget, your current income and your savings. As well as your flexibility of neighborhood, location etc..
Two dogs to most landlords will be a bigger issue than a Bankruptcy. Make sure you have references for your dogs; that they are house broken, do not destroy property, are quiet even when you are not home, be willing to hire a dog walker etc. A vet reference to say that they are not aggressive etc.
This is not the best time of year for you to be looking because for every apartment at this time of the year in a decent location, priced right, they will have at least 6 applications!
This is the season for job relocation, grads moving to the City and college kids moving to the City to start college, so at all budget levels the rental market is the busiest of the whole year.
The smaller Landlords will probably be your best bet, rather than the large corporate landlords that have their formula and do not deviate for individual situations.
Best bet is to quickly analyze what neighborhoods are in your budget, find a good agent in that area and work with them.
Good Luck,
Kathryn Lilly, Broker
Realty on the Greene, LLC
718-858-7600
Hi Mr. Kaplan,
Having given your service, I would like to see how I can best serve you at this time.
Please fee free to give me a call so we could have go over the details and make every effort to finding you a new apartment.

FILLMORE REAL ESTATE
2990 Avenue U
Brooklyn NY 11229
Direct: 347-612-2890
Office: 718-368-3200
Email Address: jacquelinealexander@fillmore.com
Because the landlord/tenant laws are very pro tenant in NYC, most landlords are going to be inclined to require additional security or pre-paid rent from you.

I would prepare a thoughtful letter explaining the reason for your bankruptcy and figure how much prepaid rent or additional security you would be willing to offer. If you have been repairing your credit issues and showing good faith, be sure to include these details in the letter.

The good news is that in Brooklyn, many landlords might be a little more flexible than those in Manhattan (depending on what neighborhoods you are looking in) and remember, you are not alone. Many people have had credit issues over the past few years - including bankruptcies.
What if you don't have a guarantor? But a good paying job.
You must be prepared to offer either a Guarantor or additional security / prepaid rent because of your bankruptcy. Having a Guarantor from the Tri State (NY, Connecticut, or New Jersey) would be very helpful.