Rentals in Los Angeles>Question Details

rheakent, Renter in Los Angeles, CA

Looking for advice on moving to/near Santa Monica. Need a family friendly and moderately priced neighborhood for a young family.

Asked by rheakent, Los Angeles, CA Sat Dec 15, 2012

We are relocating from Toronto, Canada to L.A County (Santa Monica area). Ideally we would like to rent a town home/house with an outdoor space, 3 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms. Any info. on comfortable and moderately priced neighborhoods would be so appreciated! Thank you.

I would be more than happy to assist you in your search. I was born in Santa Monica and currently live here with my family in a 3bd/3ba townhouse in the Mid-City neighborhood of Santa Monica. I have friends that work for, and neighbors that attend, several of Santa Monica's the way, they are some if the best schools in Los Angeles. My daughter has just started kindergarten and loves it!

Additionally, I am a real estate agent that specializes in buying and selling apartment buildings and happen to know many owners. Many times I can find lease listings before they are available to general public.

Please contact me at your earliest convenience so we can speak about our next steps. I agree with my colleague below and suggest that you work with an agent (and yes, the landlord will pay the commission, not you as the renter). I believe that my hyper-local knowledge of Santa Monica and the surrounding neighborhoods will benefit you tremendously. I look forward to hearing for you soon.

Austin Chen, REALTOR®
Real Estate Investment Specialist
DRE #: 01898306
Office: 323.902.SOLD (7653)
Fax: 323.443.1093
Mobile: 310.948.2629
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Dec 16, 2012
Hi Austin thanks for your reply, I will email you tomorrow
Flag Sun Dec 16, 2012
What is your time frame, pricing etc.? I specialize in the Santa Monica area Visit our website at Gibson International< go to find a agent .My name is Craig Sellers and it would be a privilege to help you.

Thank you for you for your consideration.

Craig Sellers
Dear Rheakent,
I would recommend that you take a look at Westchester (Los Angeles, 90045) area. It's near LAX and reasonable compared to other West Los Angeles Neighborhoods. I believe you will find the prices very affordable for a home rental.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Dec 16, 2012
Santa Monica, Culver City, Brentwood, West Los Angeles... all similar areas... I am partial to schools in Santa Monica, but Culver City has some amazing schools as well...

You may want toget an idea of what is out there by checking

Be careful of some of the super-low prices for rentals advertise in trulia... unfortunately thay happen not to be true... if they seem too good to be true.. then they are.

Best of luck! You are going to love the weather :)

Contact a local Real Estate Agent and commit to working with them. This will get you the best opportunities in the fastest amount of time.
Thanks CP!
Flag Sun Dec 16, 2012
The absolute first item to address is your desired price range. Currently, the lowest priced 3-bedroom CONDO is asking $4500/month--and it goes way up from there. Most people moving anywhere into the Southern California area experience some sticker shock. There are, however, adjacent neighborhoods to explore, which can probably cut the budget nearly in half. Care to share?
rhea, The best thing to do is contact one of the agents herein so they can guide you through the rental process. As you are unfamiliar with the area, instead of just asking for advice, you should team up with a reputable agent and have real representation. In CA, the Landlord will, when the deal is complete, pay the commission. Best of luck!

Risa Liebster, Realtor®
Ramsey-Shilling Associates
818.397.9188 Cell
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Dec 15, 2012
Thanks Risa, we have has a few realtors approach us so we will def take your advice. Thanks!
Flag Sun Dec 16, 2012
Please send me an email your price range I can send you the available list of properties.
Thank you for your reply, my email is
We need a place by March 1st, we are aware that Santa Monica is quite expensive but that is our preferred area. Would $2500 - 3500 a month be attainable? If not, neighborhoods around SM. Thank you!
Flag Sat Dec 15, 2012
WElcome to los Angeles!!!
I'd be more than happy to talk to you aobu tyour options.
Please email me at or ring me at 323-219-4480.
I can help you locate a property to rent and talk about a number of neighborhoods and schools and local municipal services.
I look forward to hearing from you.
Lynn Le Glaire