Rentals in Loop>Question Details

Lila, Home Buyer in Chicago, IL

Looking for a good apartment in downtown chicago.

Asked by Lila, Chicago, IL Sat Jan 25, 2014

I was told by a management company I'm financially okay and have good landlord history. But because I have a credit score of 636 they won't rent to me unless I get a co-signer. Are all management companies in the loop like this? Are there any apartment buildings in the loop that does not require a minimum credit score of 700? Please help!

0 votes Share Flag Rentals in Loop

If you are in the market still, there are many great places to call home. Most landlords have credit and income qualifications. You may be able to offer a larger security deposit to offset your credit situation.
best of luck.
Let me know if you're still looking. I may be able to help.
Speak with a realtor with access to the MLS and they will find the right landlord

Opportunities exist - It's simply a function of trying to find a unit that meets your budget. If your credit has negative info in it, then write a letter of explanation as to what happened and if possible be prepared to provide more rent up front to ease the concern of the landlord. Feel free to contact should you need any assistance.
Web Reference:
Hi Lila,

Lots of Apartment buildings look at your credit history rather than your credit score. I would be happy to help you find the right space. I am in my office today and can be reached at 312-222-1111. If nothing else I can guide you to the right building.
Hello Lila, you are better off working with a Realtor that knows your situation then going directly to management companies.

Warm regards,
Ivan Sagel
Dear Lila,

Due to strict laws management companies must treat each applicant exactly the same when it comes to income and credit and each management company has written policies and procedures and they do not stray from them.

What you can do is look for a private landlord on craigslist or I would also work on repairing your credit. Here is great software to help you remove inaccurate information on your credit Today keeping your credit score strong is important.
Individually owned condos for rent tend to be more flexible about credit scores. Income that is verified can be more important than credit score. I have found people with bad credit scores places to rent.
I have a 1BR/1BA in the west loop available now with a washer/dryer, stainless steel appliances, granite, indoor parking and cable included. Contact me a It's in a great location close to a park and the expressway
Not sure, but there are lots of individual rentals from individual owners, not management firms and they usually look at your entire financial picture so it depends on why your score is low. Any agent can help you at no charge to you.
yes I can help email me at
There are some out there. It may be beneficial to get a good leasing agent to help. I am sure they will have experience with this sort of thing.
I don't deal all that much with rentals but when I refer someone in Chicago Land I usually suggest The Apartment People because that is all this company deals with. I bet they can help you.

Try 100 East Chestnut. I had a client go there a while ago, and it was not an issue. You can also spend about 2 hours and dispute all negatives on your credit report and contact anyone that will not come off and see what they will take to remove them. Be prepared for make good on old debts. If a creditor does not respond in 30 days, the negative falls off by default. All 3 bureaus have online dispute pages.