Rentals in Chicago>Question Details

A.M,  in Chicago, IL

Landlords: What has your experience been in renting to section 8?

Asked by A.M, Chicago, IL Tue Aug 14, 2012

Personal experience and honest pros & cons preferred. Thanks!

1 vote Share Flag Rentals in Chicago

Answers

4
Section 8 all depends on the different authorities. I have more experience with cook county. They can take a very long time or a reasonable amount of time. Inspections I have experienced are pretty reasonable, but it depends on the inspectors. You have to content with their program and timetable. Email is better to correspond - don't even try calling. Get the tenant on board as a partner to move things along. That is really the bad.

If the tenant does not pay - they will revoke their voucher. They have a zero tolerance policy and you can complain to them about a tenant and they will act. And they do pay regularly, so that is all good.

The worst part of cook county housing authority is that they do not pay nearly enough for rent. Depending on the house, they are 20-30% below market value, but there is a guarantee on rent and behavior, so that is a trade off.

It really just depends on the landlord and tenant.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Aug 15, 2012
I guess the rent and behavior are my two biggest concerns. I am not interested in renting to someone who is able to destroy an apt and not be held accountable. I have read all sorts of horror stories -- i feel those are the only ones ever published. There are a total of 8 buildings in my family and none have gone through a section 8 screening. We never have any issues with vacancies as we price them slightly below market value. I was wondering if this would be a reasonable alternative if we ever needed tenants quick in chicago.
Flag Wed Aug 15, 2012
Anna-

My company manages over 80 Section 8 units. I can be reached via email or cell with questions.

Erik Sachs
RpV Realty
Cell 773/368-5515
Email esachs@rpvinc.com
There are a lot of landlords with this experience. Call them up and see what they say. Us agents cant comment on things of this nature.
Hi Matt, thank you for the reply. Contacting the landlords was my exact intention in posting the question on this public forum. I feel a lot of people talk about their negative experiences. I am opening the floor to hear from landlords and see what their experiences have been. Thanks again.
Flag Tue Aug 14, 2012
i would interview a few people and see if you like it