Rentals in New York>Question Details

Haris N, Renter in Astoria, Queens, NY

Just moved from Europe to NY (Green Card). How can I rent an apartment without a credit history? I'm here with wife and two kids.

Asked by Haris N, Astoria, Queens, NY Fri Jun 14, 2013

0 votes Share Flag Rentals in New York

Help the community by answering this question:


Each landlord is different, therefore be upfront; be prepared to show proof of employment/pay stubs, possibly offer additional security, possibly pre-pay some of the rent, if possible have some reference letters handy, consider a guarantor, etc.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Jun 14, 2013

There are a couple different options. You can see if the building will allow you to pay 6 months or 12 months up front. Also, option is a US based guarantor.
Or there is a third option, a company called Insurent, you will pay them a fee to be your guarantor. Those are really the three best options for you. Please let me know if you have any more questions.

All the best,
Nick A. Agostinelli
Elegran Real Estate & Development
Office 212-729-5712 ext 144
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Jun 14, 2013
It is tough, although not impossible. NYC is very international place and landlords are used to these situations. Some of them accept Insurent - a corporate guarantee that costs about 1 month rent. Some landlords would take pre-payment for 6-months or even a year upfront and some landlords would require a local individual guarantor, who makes x80 times rent. Be prepared to also provide bank statements, pay stubs and employment verification, when renting an apartment. Also you should get a social security number and couple credit cards or store cards to start building your credit history.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Jul 8, 2013
Please contact me for assistance. My name is Tanuja and I can be reached at 347-882-0353. Thank you and good luck.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Jun 17, 2013

You might offer extra security to the landlord to make up for the lack of credit history.

I do suggest getting a local credit card as quickly as possible and make a small charge every month that is paid off immediately.

Also establishing local bank accounts will help (checking, savings) and if you are employed with a local company, that is a plus. Perhaps your employer or someone else locally might agree to co-sign while you establish credit.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Jun 15, 2013
There are plenty of ways depending on your specific situation. My wife is not from this country but lived here for years before we met. Choose an agent you think will do the best work for you and then listen to what they recommend. Call me and we can find out which rout to take to get you in a comfortable environment.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Jun 15, 2013
Hello Harris. There are ways around everything. Some landlords will take the year upfront but you wouldn't believe how many don't. Insurent is always an option but it's kind of like the year up front... it's hit or miss. A guarantor or cosigner that lives in the U.S. would pretty much fix everything. Sometimes kissing a little posterior works pretty well with guarantors not landlords. Finding a private owner in the Bronx or Brooklyn might get you in to an apartment. Now... if you want to live in Manhattan, you should give me a call. When's your move in date?

Darius Chelaru
Metropolitan Property Group
255 West 36 Street
New York N.Y. 10018
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Jun 14, 2013
we specialize on finding apartments for international clients.
Feel free to give me a call at 917-410-1388
Evans International
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Jun 14, 2013
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Jun 14, 2013
Just called Insurent. They say it would be the best if we had some relatives here to act as a guarantor for us. I'm not sure if that is a requirenment, they'll contact me back with more info. But if it is, why not skipping Insurent and just go directly to relatives? (We have noone here)
Flag Tue Jun 18, 2013
Each case is different. It would help to know the particulars of your situation.An American who lived in Europe for 15 years, I have extensive experience renting apartments to European nationals new to New York. I know exactly how to to make the rental process easier for you. Please call me on 646.820.7010 discuss this further. We'll get you settled into your new home quickly and easily.
Best regards,
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Jun 14, 2013
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2016 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer