Rentals in Denver>Question Details

Pat Leonard, Renter in Denver, CO

Is there any scrutiny on Trulia's part with rental listings?

Asked by Pat Leonard, Denver, CO Wed May 30, 2012

As I just received an email reply from an owner of a property listed on Trulia, and there is something "odd" with how the wording/sentences were constructed. It makes me leary about giving them any information about myself. Although I am really interested in seeing the property, I suspect that there is something not right about "who" this person says they are. Can Trulia confirm anything about this posting?
4945 Fenton St, Denver, CO
Rental price is $1200/mo

0 votes Share Flag Rentals in Denver

Answers

6
There are SO many scams going on. The biggest minefield is Craig's List - although that's the site with the most legitimate traffic.
Rentals are a premium product now. No need to respond to off key inquiries.
I had someone call me about an expired listing...seemed odd. I talked with the sheriffs office - they said that the current scam is to find 'vacant' properties and then 'take a deposit' on them.....
Hello Pat
The first rule of thumb is this. Your intuition is probably correct and you should pay attention. Next be very careful when renting a property from any of these web sites. You have the address go drive by see what's up, look for a sign and call.

Regards
Kevin Connolly
Verde Denver Real Estate
720-334-6181
thank you very much for your reply. i do plan on a drive by as you suggest.
Flag Thu May 31, 2012
Hi Pat: You definitely should be careful about responding to rental listings. Even if the websites were trying to police the listings, it would be hard for them to confirm that everything is on the up-and-up. And we have seen a number of scams involving people who try to get you to send deposit or rent money without actually seeing the dwelling. In some cases these folks have pulled photos from for sale listings and advertised them for rent, often at very attractive prices. Additionally, you should be careful about going into empty apartments without taking care to confirm that the person is exactly who he or she claims to be. Often your instincts tell you when there might be a reason to worry. It sounds like this might be the case here. If so, take some care. Check out everything and everyone before you make a move that could be a mistake.

Kind regards,
Ron Rovtar
Prudential Real Estate of the Rockies
Days: 303.981.1617
Evenings: 303.473.1926
ron@rovtar.com
http://www.rovtar.com
Pat,

Trulia is just a 'whiteboard' for posting the rental listings kind of like Craigslist. They have no way to scrutinize or verify who is posting properties for rent. You seem to have a good sense about this posting. Sometimes that is the best deterent to getting caught up in a scam where you could lose money in the process or worse. If it does not feel right you are better off letting it go. Please know not to send money in advance of getting to know who you are dealing with and feel comfortable about the transaction after doing your research on them and the property. Good success to you in finding the 'right' place. Of course you know it is better to own than to rent in most situations. See my blog here - http://j.mp/JFzjYI

Robert McGuire ASR
Broker/Consultant
Your Castle Real Estate
1776 S. Jackson St. #412
Denver CO 80210
Direct – 303-669-1246
http://theRobertMcGuire.com
. this is from the terms of use on the website:

You understand that Trulia does not approve or control the User Content posted by others, and instead simply provides a service by allowing users to access information that has been made available by others. As a provider of interactive services, Trulia is not liable for any statements, representations, or User Content provided by its users on the Site or in connection with the Services. Trulia assumes no responsibility for monitoring the Site or the Services for appropriate User Content or conduct and has no obligation to screen, edit, or remove any of the User Content. However, Trulia reserves the right, in its sole discretion and without notice, to monitor, screen, edit, or remove any User Content at any time and for any reason or for no reason. Trulia nonetheless assumes no responsibility for such User Content or for the conduct of the User submitting any such Content.

4945 Fenton st is an active listing on the mls (for sale)
thank you for your reply. so this place i am interested in is an active listing on MLS as a sale property, while at the same time some phoney person has it listed as a rental??
Flag Wed May 30, 2012
I do not think Trulia does anything at all with checking listings or rentals. They provide a place to post these things and they don't do much else. I get spam from people that reply from Trulia just like I do from people telling me I have money in Africa and all I need to do is send them some to get the big money and crap like that. I suggest you work with a Realtor and not go out on your own, it's free to do it you know.