Rentals in Los Angeles>Question Details

Rubi, Renter in Los Angeles, CA

Is the trulia site ever reliable? I am tired at looking at all the listings of homes for rent. All of them are scams.

Asked by Rubi, Los Angeles, CA Sun Aug 26, 2012

I emailed about 40 homes for rent here on trulia and every single one has the same story about them being out of town and looking for a god fearing family. I give up on trulia.com. Why do they allow these scams........

Answers

7
I got the same email back.... "god fearing family"

http://www.trulia.com/rental/3093349025-1498-Sunset-Plaza-Dr…

I mentioned that I would have my lawyer get in contact and he said "sure" and then all of a sudden the listing is gone.... There was another property similar and the wording was the same.. that listing is now gone as well.
Same story about being out of town and also VERY pushy about getting the $1,200 deposit.
Also saying that I would not be able to view the inside of the home..only the outside.
Also the price was dropped $1,500 in a matter of 4 days.
It all seemed too good to be true, which was obviously a red flag.
$2,000 a month for this home in the link. Yeah right!
This site is really good for finding agents to work with to help you navigate the "scams" etc. It does not cost a thing to call an Agent to help you in your search. Save yourself the time spent searching, let an agent do it, that's what we do all day anyways. Hope that was helpful.
Too bad a majority of the listings don't even include contact information. The only option is to use the email option, and those usually go unanswered.
Flag Tue Jul 9, 2013
We've lived in Los Angeles for years and are aware of housing costs in different areas. Confident that I can spot a scam I've inquired about many of the properties listed. However, I have yet to receive one legit response to any of these listings. I'm sorry that many of you have wasted your time as I have on this site.
Yes, I've experienced the same thing. I'm relocating from Chicago, IL and I haven't got the patience to be bother with scams of this nature or any other. Is this website for real?
There's tons of rental scams everywhere you look. Depending on the area you're looking, one of the best ways to find homes is on rental signs posted at the property. The rental market is so strong that many landlords are simply posting signs to find their next tenant.

Best of luck...
The risk of fraud also increases when renters are looking for a "deal." In LA, paying the lowest rent is usually the result of the benefit of rent control after years of being in the same place (witness Santa Monica). Under any other circumstance, paying less than market rate is extraordinarily rare in an area of rental demand.
Rubi,
I'm glad you see these for what they are. Scams continue to proliferate because people continue to fall for them. The same scam exists on other sites too. I first found it on Craigslist several years ago.
Your best bet to find a legitimate rental listing is to find a local agent where you are hoping to live. Properties listed on the MLS are not completely immune from the possibility of fraud, but the risk drops when you have a professional on your side who can verify various things.