Rentals in Oceanside>Question Details

April, Renter in Dana Point, CA

Is the North Valley a good area of Oceanside? I have a 15 year old and I heard at one time there were gangs in Oceanside.

Asked by April, Dana Point, CA Sun Sep 23, 2012

Answers

5
Everyone has different tolerance levels and perspectives on what is a good area and what isn't. In Oceanside, a good area and bad area could only be a few blocks apart. So does that mean the area is really that good and the area really that bad? Please use http://www.CrimeMapping.com to get comparative data for the areas you are considering. A quick check at http://meganslaw.ca.gov to see if there are nearby sex offenders can also be a good indicator. If quality of schools is important, you might want to start with http://www.GreatSchools.net
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Sep 23, 2012
Sorry for the double post and now my info updated on here, right after I posted!
Flag Thu Dec 12, 2013
I meant to say "and where I live now" gotta start proofing!
Flag Thu Dec 12, 2013
Oh and where and I live now is about as nice as Riverdale (still NYC, but not the Bronx where Riverdale is located and Riverdale has probably the lowest crime in all of NYC plus very wealthy residents), but it's still NYC and zero crimes in 6 months - that 800 crimes in 6 months is still making my head spin. Disappointed though because I can only afford to rent in that specific area I checked on the crime map.
Flag Thu Dec 12, 2013
Flag Thu Dec 12, 2013
P.S. I don't live in Riverdale anymore, but I forgot to change my location on here before I posted. But 800 crimes in 6 months? Unreal....
Flag Thu Dec 12, 2013
I found 800 crimes in 6 months within 2 miles of where I wanted to move to in Oceanside, so thanks for posting that crime mapping link! I live in NYC and my neighborhood has had ZERO crimes in the past 6 months!
Flag Thu Dec 12, 2013
As previously stated, Oceanside has a stigma. I moved to here from Montana, so I may have been a little naive, but I have never felt unsafe despite people's warnings about some neighborhoods. The city is progressing and attracting a different demographic, which seems to be nothing but positive for the area!!
Check out the crime statistics using websites like https://www.crimereports.com/. Also, drive the neighborhood during the day and at night (especially Fri and Sat nights). When I bought my house I knocked on neighbor's doors asking them how long they have lived there and if they had any issues with the neighborhood. Neighbors will usually be very candid. If you don't have the time to do that take a Google virtual tour using Street View and "drive" down the streets from the comforts of your own home :)
The Valley is considered by most residents of Oceanside and North County in general a bad area. However, it is true that a few blocks are fine but then just a few blocks down its bad.... My advice would be to find another area in Oceanside like Fire Mountain or Guajome or even Tri city... but always check it out in the evening that's when if its a bad area there will be a ton of people "hanging out" outside the houses. Rancho Del Oro is a great area too.
It's a great place to live. I've lived in that area (Arrowood) for 6 years. Oceanside has a stigma about it, but that has a lot to so with it's past. I have no regrets moving here. Oceanside will some day be an area people will say "I wish I bought there before prices sky rocketed." In the Arrowood area, which is where I'm the local expert, a large percentage of residents came from Orange County. Let me know if I can help you.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Sep 23, 2012