Rentals in South Scottsdale>Question Details

Steven Strin…, Renter in 85257

Is moving from Detroit to Scottsdale a good idea?

Asked by Steven Stringer, 85257 Thu Jan 16, 2014

Answers

20
If you like the warm weather we have in Arizona...then YES!
I personally moved from Chicago, and I love it here.

Residential Real Estate Professional / Prestige Realty
Bianca Bennett / 602-570-7898
Bianca@InvestInArizonaHomes.com
Website: http://www.InvestInArizonaHomes.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Mar 31, 2014
NO! There is a personal value to the martyrdom of living in the lands of the Frozen Choosen. Moving to warm places with perpetual sunshine in an environment that allows you to choose everyday what you want to do would clearly create way too much comfort and relaxation. Add to that a booming economy and the pathway to slothful living and indulgence is laid forth clearly. ----- Lots of folks have elected to defy the warning and LIVE where other only vacation. ARE YOU PACKED YET?
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Jan 27, 2014
Of course only you can make that decision. Do you like 350 days of sunshine? Do you enjoy golf, hiking, biking, tennis and other outdoor activities? Are you a auto or motorcycle enthusiast? How about blue skies and mountain view?

If your answer is yes, maybe Scottsdale is for you.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Jan 16, 2014
Hi there!

I myself am a transplant from Detroit. I know how cold the winters are and how humid the summers can be! I love Arizona, been here since September of 1995. The heat can get to you at times BUT the winters are short and not so cold. If you find a place with a pool, then you should e set for the rest of the seasons.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Best of luck to you!

Lisa Markham
Envoy Mortgage, Ltd.
NMLS# 947738 / AZ# 0921717
520.240.9602
lmarkham@envoymortgage.com
https://lmarkham-envoy.mortgagewebcenter.com
Steven, I think this would all depend on personal preferences.
If you like warmer weather, I think Scottsdale may be an awesome place for you!

If you have any other questions or concerns, feel free to contact me.

4802759566=
rebeccakallhoff@gmail.com
http://www.rebeccasellsaz.com

I look forward to hearing from you soon!
Scottsdale is a beautiful city with many amenities. Have you visited Scottsdale? If you are considering purchasing a home in Scottsdale I would love to help you. Please feel free to contact me directly if you have any other questions or concerns.

Heather LaPorte
Realty ONE Group
480-286-8115
That is a personal question you need to ask yourself. Each person asked may have a different opinion. Some people would recommend the move if you have certain health issues that the Arizona climate would help alleviate. Others may prefer the heat over the cold... as they say, you don't have to shovel sunshine! I grew up in the Northeast, so I can attest to the cold climate. Moving to AZ was one of the best decisions I've ever made, but that's me. You need to weigh out the pros and cons for your situation. If you have any other questions, feel free to email or give me a ring.

James Wehner
West USA Realty
480-323-5462
Well we lived in Ohio for 48 years. We move here 7 years ago. We all have jobs, and sun and everyone seems to always be happy. (I think that's because of the sun) So if you like Gold, cars, sun and jobs AZ is for you. If you need and help with your move here give me a call at 480-227-1891 Dean Bolton ProSmart Realty http://www.DeanSellsAzHomes
If you are a sportsman who likes hunting and fishing, I wouldn't suggest trading Michigan for Arizona.

While I'm sure that there are plenty of opportunities in AZ they are going to pale in comparison to what you'll find here in Michigan. The Great Lakes and their contributing watersheds are the single best freshwater fishery in the world and the Au Sable river is among the Top 5 trout streams in North America. In fact, the steelhead fishing here in Michigan is so good that people go out in hyper-cold temperatures to pull a few out of the river on the west side of the state. See video here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=te1YpuPtztU

Grouse hunting, duck hunting, and of course deer hunting are all to be found here in steady supply.

I've thought about moving my family to Florida where it's warmer but when I think about what I'd be leaving behind where life experiences that I'll share with my kids and grandkids, I soon remove the idea from my mind. When they bury me it will be in a Veteran's cemetary and I'm going to request that they tow my casket there in a fishing boat kind of like they did for this guy here: http://www.azcentral.com/offbeat/free/20140116pennsylvania-o…

I am forever - Pure Michigan
Web Reference: http://www.michigan.org/
I personally love living in Scottsdale.
Scottsdale is a lovely place with a variety of housing options. Check out this recent article.

http://247wallst.com/special-report/2014/01/02/the-best-and-…

Scottsdale is one of the best run cities in the nation. Lots of sunshine, golf, shopping and culture. I moved from the East Coast and do not regret the move to the Valley of the Sun. I would like the opportunity to share with you more information regarding Scottsdale and other Phoenix metro areas.

Please contact me should you be interested.

Tracey Swift
Coldwell Banker Residential Brokerage
480-599-7746
Scottsdale is a great place to live! I moved to the west coast 20 years ago from Wisconsin, spent 15 years in San Diego and the last 5 here in Scottsdale. Love the weather here, you can get so many places; New Mexico, Las Vegas, California, Colorado in a short time. This area has lots to see and do!

Would welcome the opportunity to help you or provide more insight!

Anne & Joe
The Putt for Par Team
Arizona Premier Realty
480-369-5804
http://www.puttforparteam.com
Steve,

As an "escapee" from the cold northeastern part of our country I have to say an unqualified "yes". I came here in 1978 and have never looked back except to chuckle! I have lived in an loved Scottsdale ever since!

Scottsdale offers a variety of housing options from moderately priced condos to the classic upscale mega mansions and everything in between!

If you want the real scoop I'm here.

Joani Frankel
Realty One Group
602-919-1256
http://www.myphxazhomes.com
Hello Steven,

If you have the resources to move, then by all means, YES.
You just need to get used to the summers and there are many options for you here, whether you decide to rent or purchase a house in or near the 85257 zip code.

When you do decide to move in Scottsdale, let me be the first to welcome you in Arizona!

Have a great day.

Ross Andal
Long Realty The FOX Group
480-287-3941
RAndal@LongRealty.com
Steve

We moved from Iowa 15 years ago, still love our family and friends in the mid-west but don't miss the weather!

We have never shoveled or scrapped heat off the windshield!
Well it is certainly a lot warmer here than it is in Detroit!
I, myself, left a booming real estate career in Chicago 15 years ago in order to move my family to Scottsdale, and I would NEVER go back. Except to visit, of course! Scottsdale is a phenomenal place to live and raise a family, and even though it does get a little toasty in the summer, I'd rather have the heat in the summer than the long, cold, dreary snow filled winters ANY day. It's going to be in the 70's again here today, with blue skies and sunshine as far as you can see.

You can't help but feel better living here, and that to me is reason enough to consider making the move. I would suggest a visit, in which I would be happy to give you a tour and show you what you could expect to get for your money and we could sit down and discuss the pros of moving here.

I hope to hear from you!

Karen Pokorney
The "ENERGIZED" Realtor
Realty Executives
cell 602-686-6464
Steven, "It's a dry heat."
Only you know if dry heat is preferred over -13 degrees.F.
I'm probably in the minority, in that I just helped a Scottsdale homeowner sell a home because they are moving TO Detroit... the overall trend in America is people moving from north to south.

One thing people coming from out of state should keep in mind is that the Phoenix/Scottsdale area is the first metropolitan area in the country to come through the foreclosure crisis. The Phoenix area experienced the highest price increases in the country inn 2012-2013 because our prices dropped so severely during the foreclosure/short-sale world of 2008-2011... statistics show increases of as much as 32 percent during 2012-2013.

I say this because out-of-staters who think they are going to find the bargain of the century in Scottsdale or Phoenix real estate need to know that they're a year or two behind the curve and that most of the bargain-seekers have moved on to other states where the foreclosure mess is still in effect.

There's a reason why so many people are moving from the Midwest and Canada to Scottsdale, or who buy a second home here. The lifestyle here is unbeatable -- minimal inclement weather, continued growth, good educational opportunities, and major businesses are continuing to move to the Valley of the Sun.

Detroit and Scottsdale are apples and oranges -- a city recovering from near-bankruptcy versus an upscale suburb, slumped real estate prices versus recovered real estate prices. If you think Scottsdale is the place for you, I would be happy to help you.

Mead Summer
Realtor & Associate Broker
Maricopa County Real Estate Special Commissioner
HomeSmart Elite Realty
(480) 747-7255
mead@superiorAZhomes.com
There are so many variables taken into consideration when making such a personal, financial, career, geographical, and residential move. Having owned two properties in Detroit and lived in the Midwest, I have personally experienced all facets of its weather, traffic, and cost of living etc. For me there was no contest. Scottsdale has a list of benefits and attractions on all levels; far too numerous for this discussion.

Feel free to call and discuss in more detail, as well as search the the entire MLS of the most up to date data on my site: http://www.judyblakerealestate.com.

Glad to assist.

Judy Blake
HomeSmart
480-205-1515
Certainly work opportunities will play into your decision process, but Scottsdale is a great place to live and it has a lot more to offer than just amazing weather. Also I'm sure it wouldn't take long to meet other Detroit natives who have made the move before you. I know a number of them myself. Feel free to contact me for more info.
Flag Tue Mar 11, 2014