Rentals in Akron>Question Details

Grace, Renter in Akron, OH

Is it true that if the owner of a home is placed in nursing home, the home must be sold to pay for their care since they have medicare & medicaid?

Asked by Grace, Akron, OH Wed Jun 27, 2012

If so is there anyone that can help me find a 3 bd rental by July 25th. I've been informed I have to be out by then. I have a letter of recommendation and I've always paid my rent on time (that's mailing it to GA). Help please!!

0 votes Share Flag Rentals in Akron

Answers

2
Tom McCombs’ answer
Is the owner of the home your current landlord? If he/she is on Medicaid it is probable that the home will have to be sold to help pay for nursing home expenses.

This assumes that there are otherwise insufficient assets to pay this bill.

If you have received notice to vacate you may have more time than the July 25th date on the notice, but you should contact an attorney to find out what your rights may be.

Where is this home, what is your rent amount, and where do you want to live?
Yes, the owner of the home is the landlord with her daughter. They live in GA. The daughter called me and said, they weren't sending a new lease for July because the nursing home will be getting the house.

I currently pay $700 a month. I live on Goodyear Blvd., akron, oh. No, I haven't received a letter to vacate, the daughter called me. She's not returning security deposit as she said she was using that as July's rent payment.
Flag Wed Jun 27, 2012
NO, there is no such law,
not even a riduculous tradition.

You don't know the financial situation of the family,
and even if they are going to lose the house, you may have as much as a year before anyone makes you move.

How about trying to communicate with the family.
Why don't you visit the owner in the nursing home, maybe out of love and concern!
The daughter is handling the house as the mother has advance Alzheimer's. The daughter stated the the nursing home will only give the mother $50 of her check. That leaves nothing to pay for taxes or insurance on the home supposedly. I'm panicing because I have two children & I'm not trying to be in a shelter.
Flag Wed Jun 27, 2012