Question Details

killian.ocri…, Renter in Ireland, TX

Is it standard when renting to request advanced payment before allowing the client access to view the property?

Asked by killian.ocriodain, Ireland, TX Wed Jan 30, 2013

I was recently interested in renting a property located in the Republic of Ireland. The landlord claimed to be using Trulia as an intermediary provider. In order to view the property, an advanced payment of one month's rent along with a security deposit was requested. This would be deposit into an account owned by Trulia which would allow them to forward the keys to my address where I would have 10 days to inspect the apartment myself. I want to confirm if this is a standard practice or if it was potentially a scam. Hopefully someone can clarify.

Answers

5
Suzanne MacDowell’s answer
Not at all! standard! NEVER make any payment of money that has to be wired somewhere and never pay in advance. Payment is due when the lease is signed and not one minute before. If you can, work with a realtor. It's the only sure fire way to avoid scammers.
No. Not standard. Downright strange. Trulia is a site for the United States, if you want to rent in Ireland, you need to call a local company to help you out. Never give anyone money unless you've set foot in the place.
It sure sounds like a scam to me.
Alan May, Real Estate Pro in Evanston, IL
Scam Scam - come on, use common sense here.
Scam. Scam scam scam scam scam.