Rentals in 94107>Question Details

Agmaynard, Renter in San Francisco, CA

Is it standard for a Landlord or Property person to ask for 1st month & security to secure said apartment before able to see?

Asked by Agmaynard, San Francisco, CA Thu Oct 17, 2013

I've had 2 responses for that reason to secure apartment before looking but said it was refundable if not interested after viewing. I said to myself, "NO WAY" that is so not. Are they allowed if it is legit?

0 votes Share Flag Rentals in 94107

Answers

6
The time to exchange money is once the apartment has been seen, contracts or leases signed by both parties. It is not allowed for people to require any money prior to seeing the apartment.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Oct 17, 2013
I'm not a real estate agent but we have rented enough apartments in the Bay Area to know that this is a bogus request. Just walk away!
This is not standard to my knowledge.
I totally agree. There is never a reason to pay anyone in advance of viewing the property, and deciding you want to go forward.

I too have heard horrid stories of people wiring money to someone purporting to be an agent, and it was completely bogus. Once you wire money, it is gone.

Best wishes to you in your search!
There is no reason to ask for money prior to viewing a rental property. DO NOT give anyone like this your money over a wire or in person before seeing the property, viewing the contract, signing documents if you decide to move forward, and get the keys! There have been several scams happening this year on account of the very competitive rental market. Be extremely cautious.

Gabriel
Thanks, that reassures my gut thinking. Most appreciated!

Gabriel
Flag Thu Oct 17, 2013