Rentals in Brooklyn>Question Details

Shownette Au…, Renter in Brooklyn, NY

Is it legit to send money to get the house, via western union?

Asked by Shownette Austin-Hankins, Brooklyn, NY Mon Aug 19, 2013

I found a place on this site, filled out paperwork and got approved. But now the landlord/owner wants me to send the 1st month and security deposit to him in the Philippines via western union in order to get the keys and the paperwork. I Just need to know if this is how its suppose to go or if its a scam.

0 votes Share Flag Rentals in Brooklyn

Answers

9
Dear Shownette:

This sounds like a scam!! First of all, did you actually see the interior of the property? If not this is probably a scam. Did you meet the landlord in person? if not this is probably a scam. Also, you should do research to find out who owns the property and make sure you are in fact dealing with the property owner for the lease.

Everything you mentioned points to this being a scam.

Mitchell S. Feldman
Associate Broker/ Director of Sales/ e-Pro Realtor
Fillmore Real Estate
Office: (718) 252-2000/ Cell: (917) 805-0783
Email: MitchellSFeldman@aol.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Aug 19, 2013
this SCREAMS SCAM. Never rent a home without seeing the inside, meeting the owner or their licensed agent IN PERSON and NEVER wire money for a rental.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Aug 19, 2013
Rent today; Buy tomorrow. How to convert from Tenant to Homeowner.

When I rented my first apartment in Astoria, I did not want to be a Tenant my whole life and pay my Landlord’s mortgage. I longed to become a Homeowner.

That’s why I found my way into the mortgage business in 1989 and soon afterward became a Homeowner. Here are the fundamentals any Tenant should know to prepare to become a Homeowner in the future, no matter when that might be.

• Credit: Establish 3 credit accounts, no more than 5. Pay your bills on time. Keep your balances to no more than 50% of your credit limit. Don’t pay off the accounts in full. Keep balances active for 12-24 months. All of the above will provide both a good credit score and adequate credit history to qualify for a mortgage loan.

• Assets: A basic savings budget isn’t hard to do. Pay your rent first in your budget; then set aside 10% of your income before taxes . Make it a budget priority and you’ll still have money left over for entertainment and restaurants and clothing.

How much money do you need to buy a home? Many buyers spend no more than $25,000 to buy their first homes. There are loan programs with low down payment requirements and many real estate agents negotiate for their Buyers a “Seller’s concession” to include the Buyer’s closing costs (which are HIGH here in New York!) in the price of the home.

• Income: Two years consistent income is the basic requirement for either a salaried individual or a self-employed person. Income from Bonus, Commission, and Overtime is treated differently and is best discussed with your Mortgage Banker.

• Market Survey: it doesn’t hurt to go out and get to know neighborhoods where you might like to buy a home. Visit open houses on Saturdays and Sundays. It’s okay that you’re not yet buying; tell the Realtor at the Open House you’re just beginning your “survey.” You’ll also get to know market prices for different kinds of homes. It’s okay to “window shop” homes on the weekend at Open Houses!

I hope these fundamentals will help you better understand the path to homeownership is a process that, with preparation and dedication, you can move through easily. And if you’re interested in getting Prequalified today to create an Action Plan for your future of Homeownership, call me anytime!

Trevor Curran
tcurranmortgage.com

*If you thought my answer was helpful, please give me a “Thumbs Up” or “Best Answer.” Thanks!
It sounds like a scam. The person should have a real estate company working for them.
There are alot of scams, especially at the height of rental season... Be careful.

Feel free to call me anytime
Direct: 212.300.3919

Luke Constantino
Commercial/Residential
Keller Williams Real Estate
9120 4th Avenue Brooklyn, NY 11209
Direct: (212) 300-3919
Office: (718) 954 8400
lukeconstantino@gmail.com
i don't think so - really - who gave you the paperwork? who approved you?
You have found a real estate scam. You and a lot of other people will be sending money. On the date of the lease you and all the rest will show up. I hope you like a lot of room mates. Don't send money and don't deal with owners you can't deal with face to face.
No never wire money; more than likely a scam--for scam related information see link...
http://www.ftc.gov/opa/2009/05/rentalscam.shtm
Absolutely not!!!! This is a Craigslist scam!!!!
So even though the house was listed on this site its still a scam? How do I know when its not a scam?
Flag Mon Aug 19, 2013