Rentals in West Hills>Question Details

Lyn, Renter in West Hills, CA

Is it difficult to find a home to rent if you have bad credit?

Asked by Lyn, West Hills, CA Fri Feb 15, 2013

We are going through a short sale of our house and relocating to California. Even though we have bad credit; we have stable career (nurse & CT Scan Tech) .

Answers

6
The other answers are terrific and the only other tip I have is writing a thoughtful personal letter explaining your situation. That goes a long way with landlords.

Take care and good luck!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Feb 15, 2013
Thank you!
Flag Fri Feb 15, 2013
Great article here on lease to own properties and a way to get the home you want with bad credit.

http://thelendersnetwork.com/lease-to-own-home-purchase/

I am a property manager as well as an agent and I review rental applications daily. Here are a few tips to help get an application approved. I suggest writing a cover letter with an introduction about who you are, why you love the rental you are applying for, and an explanation of why you are moving. You should get a letter of recommendation from your current landlord to show your rental record of paying on time.

Many times people with bad credit (or no credit) will have a local boss, friend, or family member act as their guarantor. It makes me feel more comfortable because I make sure the guarantor has ample income and good credit. You can always offer to pay a double security deposit or pay a few additional months of rent in advance as well.

Please also check my blog - Get your rental application to the top of the stack. 4 proven tips to get your rental application approved. http://www.trulia.com/blog/JessicaAcker/2011/09/getting_your…

Jessica M. Acker
Wellman Realty Company
1415 Stanford St., Suite #4
Santa Monica, CA 90404
Direct (310) 828-3132
DRE License # 01894323
Hi Lyn,

I would definitely write a letter explaining your situation. Also note the max security deposit allowed for unfurnished homes in California is 2x the monthly rent.

Steve Colvin
Premier Ca Realty
You have to prepare your application with care. If the short sale is the only black mark on your credit that will definitely help. YOu can also offer additional deposit to help the Landlord be more comfortable. Have a good realtor help you.
I think it is possible to find a nice property/landlord in your situation

It is always best to be honest to your future landlord and disclose your credit report issues before you apply .

It is also a good idea to be prepared to offer a large security deposits so that the landlord can feel safer with you as a tenant.

Hope this info will help you!