Rentals in New Paltz>Question Details

Jenet Levy, Real Estate Pro in New York, NY

Is heat and hot water typically included in the rent in New Paltz? Thank you.

Asked by Jenet Levy, New York, NY Tue Nov 2, 2010

Answers

6
Sandy Reid’s answer
Gas and heat is not a given in the rent in our area. You will usually find it in the condos in our area as it is included in the owners maintenance fee. To find out the approx. cost for a cottage I would suggest to get the sq. footage of the cottage and call the gas company or whover is supplying the heating fuel and ask them for a guesstamation. They have formulas to give you an approimate amount.

Ps. I grew up in NYC and enjoyed many years in the village.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Nov 6, 2010
Thanks. It's my son in school there (SUNY New Paltz) renting a little cottage. He's upstairs with a roommate, there are other tenants downstairs. It's actually a converted carriage house. There is no lease, and there was no discussion of heat/hot water when he got it in the summer - I say "he," but we are paying. They just installed some kind of gas heater and are saying he'll have to pay for heat. In NYC apts. heat and hot water is always included, so I wondered about there. Also, any idea what gas heat for half a carriage house for the winter can cost?
Thanks very much.
It depends. If you are renting a whole house, you are probably also going to pay for the heat. If you are sharing a house, it would depend on whether or not the rented units have separated utilities. If it's an apartment in a complex, the heat is part of the common charge, so it's likely to be part of your rent. If you are renting a room, your heat is probably included.

And if you need to communicate with a New Paltz realtor, don't hesitate to contact me!
http://www.lauraroserealestate.info.

http://www.lauraroserealestate.info.

http://www.lauraroserealestate.info.
Whether it is New Paltz or New York, it's typically up to the landlord. Either way he/she is generally covering thier costs either way. Rent will be high enough to cover costs or lower rent with you assuming that responsibility.