Rentals in 07102>Question Details

Diligent Lan…, Home Seller in 07102

Is a smoke detector certificate or continued certificate of occupancy required to rent my townhouse in Newark?

Asked by Diligent Landlord, 07102 Thu Jul 5, 2012

I called the city of Newark twice and they told me I do not need a smoke detector certificate or CCO to rent . However, when I looked on their webiste, it said I need a smoke detector certificate with any change in occupancy. Which is correct?

0 votes Share Flag Rentals in 07102

Answers

2
Claudia Borges’ answer
It means when you are selling the property, the owner has to apply for a Continued Certificate of Occupancy and Smoke Cetificate. If you are the owner and wants to rent the place you have to make sure that the towhome has all the smoke detectors, fire extinguisher and carbon monoxides on right place. If you need help to rent your townhome please do not hesitate to contact me at my office.
Claudia Borges
CAPY Realty LLC
973-757-2581
A CO is required everywhere in NJ. At least, they want to be sure there is a working CO Detector, Smoke Detectors and Fire Extinguisher. It is the owners responsibility to make sure this is performed.

Some towns do a more extensive inspection. To find out more, give town hall a call.
They are alwyas very helpful.