Rentals in Watertown>Question Details

Dongu, Home Buyer in Emeryville, CA

Is Watertown MA is a good investment for SFR rental. Will my rent cover expense and is it easy to find renters.?

Asked by Dongu, Emeryville, CA Tue Jun 28, 2011

Answers

8
Mike DelRose Team’s answer
Watertown is a great community to invest in rental property. It's proximity to Boston via public transportation and the Mass Pike and access to 95/128 make it very appealing to prospective tenants. However, whether the rent would cover your expenses would depend on the size of the home, number of bedrooms, rent collected versus the total expenses and that will be mostly be driven by the amount of your down payment. Usually, without a significant investment on your part, the rent on a single family home will not cover the expenses. Other things to consider are appreciation, depreciation and the tax benefits of owning the property. Good luck with your home search.
Web Reference: http://www.mikedelrose.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Jun 28, 2011
Everything depends on the property. I would say out of all of the areas here, the ones that are easiest to rent are Cambridge, Newton, and Jamaica Plain. Belmont gets a bit of traffic, as well as Needham and Watertown. Cambridge and Newton are probably your two best options though if you're looking to invest. Cambridge has really low property taxes, and that attracts a lot of investors.
I would be happy to assist you with your search further. Please contact me at 781-330-0152
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Jun 28, 2011
Watertown is a very good market right now, It is desirable for buyers and renters.
I'm a Watertown resident and an agent in Watertown. I can say that it's hard to find apartments for rent. So you will not have hard time to find tenants. Your investment could be good if the numbers work, that's a calculation that you need to do for each individual property. Some property have a rental history, so you can see the numbers that will come in. The best return is on a tow family home.
I will be more then happy to hear more about your home search.

Erez
Unfortunately in order to determine ROI we need an exact property or more details of what you are willing to spend. Post more info if you'rw comfortable, other wise email us and we will help you determine... don't worry, no strings attached.

Watertown is a great area. Nice proximity to Cambridg, Somerville and downtown Boston.

Here is every property for sale in Watertown: http://goo.gl/qHj3p
Web Reference: http://territory.com/
Possibly, depending on property. If you are going to invest in a SFR I would recommend finding one with a yard and parking, and deleading the property. Then you will always have long term tenants with kids in the school system. Take a look at newton and belmont and needham as well. Would be happy to help you find the right property!
Very interesting question. Watertown has nearly 50% of properties are non owner occupied property. Many of them are multi-family. Once and a while a single family will be up for rent but not very much. Majority of renter is young professional, not a family that will need a single family house. The return on your investment may not be so different but I think you will be able to find tenants much easier on the apartment unit.
Michael is 100% right and knows Watertown inside out.
Dongu,
Unfortunately there are too many variables here to give you a straight answer. This can be dependent on size of the home, price, location, and average rent prices in the area. My advice would be to find yourself a good buyers agent who can help you determine this for each listing you are looking at.