Rentals in 97233>Question Details

Ayeshia Saun…, Renter in Portland, OR

In two months I'll be relocationg from California to Oregon. Any advice on do's and don'ts?

Asked by Ayeshia Saunders, Portland, OR Sun Oct 7, 2012

0 votes Share Flag Rentals in 97233

Answers

9
Hi Ayeshia,
That is a big change. Are you moving for work or just because? Which part of Oregon? That will depend on how I answer the question.
Rene'
Congratulations! You will love Oregon and all of the opportunities that it will afford you. Speaking of afford, most folks relocating from California are amazed at what they can purchase here in Oregon. Have you been here before? What is bringing you to the area? If you are coming with a job, that would be the first location to begin your search for housing. A good Realtor, can help you discover the many wonderful neighborhoods and what might be a good fit for your lifestyle. Naturally, there are a million questions that go with a successful relocation. Let me know if you would like some help.
Start visiting the area now- to slowly get an idea of where you will be working and how much of a drive time you are comfortable with. That said, learn the peak routes that have the highest traffic during your morning and evening times. I say that because not only is your time valuable, but you can find great homes just a few miles out of your original desired area because you are willing to drive another 3 minutes to work, and save some money because of city zoning or other related impacts.
Furthermore, I would encourage you to rent first- for 3 months or so, if you can find a great place that soon.
Start looking now though because demand is high for good rentals with less than an hour commute into Portland.
If you ever have any questions on the area, neighborhoods, traffic patterns, anything- I'd be happy to share my own experience and advice with you: nicole@portlanddwellings.com
The housing market HAS NOT 'really picked up'. Lets say we once had 2000 units a month moving but it went down to 2 units. Now we are at 4--LOL Well thats a 100% increase but its certainly not 'really picked up' compared to what it used to be.

Your question is nebulous and too general. An agent would need to know a LOT more. I relocated here from Santa Cruz and if I had it to do over, Iwould have rented and really become familiar with the entire city and surrounding townships. This place is so different within its own boundaries that youwill see a business with one location in the NW quarter actually have four different phone numbers to advertise for clients in the other three. Most of the sales in this city are SHORT SALES. Oregon is one of the hardest hit states for foreclosures and short sales. If you have cash the world is your oyster. If you are well qualified you can make a deal. a 'deal' is different than in the old days---a deal used to mean you stole a property. Now it means you have gotten a bit better than actual market value because on average short sales sell for 8% to 12% less than listed value.

So my advice is move here into a rental first. Rents are higher here than they used to be. A lot higher. This is becasue thousand of familieshave lost their homes and now have to rent. The landlords keep raising to what the market will take. Get to know the entire area before deciding on a plan of action. I wish I had.
Are you planning on renting or buying when you get to Portland? It's good to be thinking of your move now. The housing market has really picked up and with the interest rates are at an unbelievble low, it might behoove you purchase rather than rent. Portland has quite a few neighborhoods that have access to public transportation and/or ease to major freeways. Where will you be working? How far are you willing to commute? As a seasoned agent in Portland, I work with clients relocating to this area all the time. I'd be happy to help you locate the perfect spot for you...Portland has so much to offer.

http://www.pohlrealestate.com/
Renting is my first thought due to my current credit status. I've also been thining of filing bankruptcy. What are your thoughts?
Flag Mon Oct 8, 2012
Prices are still at a point where it my make sense to buy rather than rent interest. rates are at all time lows it is still a buyers market. Check out Vancouver as prices on average are lower good luck Brad Fix
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Oct 7, 2012
Do check in to rentals that will be large enough for you -dont take animals if at all possible unless you can find a home separate from apartments. Homes with animals to rent are easier than trying to rent an apartment if you have animals. Do have your animals checked and ready to go with paperwork across the state line. SO many people have no idea that you have to have paperwork if you do have animals. If you have no animals, you will probably have a lot more to choose from.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Oct 7, 2012
Think about where you will be working and what kind of neighborhood you see yourself in. If you are buying, find a good agent that can walk you through the nuances of the different locations.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Oct 7, 2012
bring an umbrella and be patient the rental market is tight
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Oct 7, 2012