Rentals in 10014>Question Details

Alex Mckenna, Home Buyer in Los Angeles, CA

In November '13 signed a 6months lease, PAID 4 all 6 months in advance. Landlord wants to sell. What r my rights? Does lease supersede the sale?

Asked by Alex Mckenna, Los Angeles, CA Wed Jan 15, 2014

i.e. can I stay in the unit until the 6 months are up? Do i negotiate with current Landlord on an incentive to move earlier as they'll prob want to keep what I have paid right up until new owner moves in (I am assuming)? I have dogs…what protection/rights do I have for their safety while they r showing my unit? Can they hold me liable if my dog bites a stranger? Just thinking of everything

0 votes Share Flag Rentals in 10014

Answers

10
Review your lease agreement as the answer more than likely can be found in the document; generally the lease needs to be honored by the new landlord, however if your lease is nearing the end, you may wish to begin searching for a new home.....
Do you have a clause in your lease that allows him to ask you to leave like that? It seems there might be more to the question; he says he is selling....has he gone into contract? Is the new buyer demanding for the unit to be vacated?
It is unlikely that the landlord can evict you under these circumstances but I would ask for advice from a lawyer in your area that understands local real estate laws.
When you get to your 5th month in your lease, start looking for a new place. It's a short term lease for a reason. Do not plan on a new owner to take you on. Seriously, MOVE ON.
Hi Alex. This question is asked in a way that makes me think any answer would be premature. You say he wants to sell but don't mention if the house is in contract. If a buyer is aware of your presence, that might be factored in and perhaps a new owner would want a tenant in place. Your lease does supersede the sale but again, we don't know at what stage this "sale" is at.

As for showing, a landlord would have specific language in the lease pertaining to that and what is required. You would need to secure you dogs or be libel for any problems. If there is no written lease (month to month tenancy), your landlord needs to give you reasonable notice that he/she intends to enter the property and that is usualy about 24hrs. As such, you still need to secure your dogs. The person that gets bitten will certainly hold you responsible. I strongly advise you talk with an Attorney. Good luck.
Double check how your lease reads, that will help dictate your rights as to what you agreed to in the event of a pending sale. If you have a reasonable landlord you might be able to work something out; you sound reasonable, give it a try. I would not depend on a new owner taking you on. I agree with below, take the dogs out for a walk; regardless there would be liable on your part if your dogs bit anyone, anywhere unprovoked.
What ever your lease says
The new owner must honor the lease agreement. So you will not have to move during the term of the lease. As far as showings: Go out with the dogs when the agent shows your apartment. You don't want to be there anyway. Ask for 24 hours notice for showings as a courtesy. Agents will like to keep you happy and will try their best to accommodate 24 hour notice.
The new owner may be happy to keep you on if you have been a good tenant - at the same rent.
Leases come with the house. If they have just listed the house for sale, chances are it will not be closing before April or May. As for showings, let them know what days and time you would be available. For showings, either take the dogs for a walk put them in one of the rooms or make sure you are with them at all times. Terry K 718-614-3167 cell or TKorahais@elliman.com
Lease supersedes a sale. You are good for as long as your lease states.

Look at your lease regarding showings, etc. No worries; lease is King.
PS this apartment is in New York