Rentals in Pittsburgh>Question Details

Sassyblonde, Renter in Springfield, MO

Im trying to find out if a house listed on here is a scam..address is 1305 W. Pierce st Springfield MO

Asked by Sassyblonde, Springfield, MO Thu Apr 19, 2012

The people wanting me to rent it are offering a very good deal, but say they've moved out of state and need me to mail the deposit so they can mail me the keys. I have been given a phone number and I checked the owner ship with the acessors office..the names match..but I know this still can be a scam. I would appreciate any help you can offer. Thank you Paula

Answers

1
Don Tepper’s answer
Very likely a scam. The scammers can easily check the same records with the assessor's office, then pretend to be the owner.

Tell you what: Ask the supposed landlords to e-mail you a copy of their driver's license. It probably should show 1305 W. Pierce as their address. Even if it doesn't, it'll have a picture. Take the picture, show it to the neighbors, and ask if that person really did live at 1305 W. Pierce.

But don't send any money unless you've 100% verified that the people you're dealing with are the owners. And at this point, you haven't.
Don Tepper, Real Estate Pro in Fairfax, VA