Rentals in Chicago>Question Details

Joe, Home Buyer in Humboldt Park, Chicago...

Im a new landlord and im not sure if i have to put my personal address down on my new tenants lease or can i just write down my name and phone number?

Asked by Joe, Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL Tue Mar 5, 2013

0 votes Share Flag Rentals in Chicago

Answers

10
I would really advise against using your personal address. There are many reason -but this is not the time or place. However, there has to be someplace for the tenants to send the checks. It however, does not have to be your personal address.

So, what can you do? You can avoid the address thing --if you pick up your rents in person. I would also advise against that. You can have the tenants send their checks to a p.o. box, or an rented box like the ones they have at the UPS stores.

You can also have them send the check to your lawyers office, another business address, a rented business center or directly to your bank. By golly you can also have them send their checks to your local Realtor. It does not and should not have to be your personal addy.
Half the realtors in town write "OOR" down on sales contracts and now they cite muni code. I love it. Hypocrites.
Hi Joe,

Yes.... Address must be provided... do you have an Office Address or Mailing Address other than personal ?
You have to put your address down......plus where would they send the check
Definitely put your address down. Under the RLTO:

"A landlord or any person authorized to enter into an oral or written rental agreement on the landlord’s behalf shall disclose to the tenant in writing at or before the commencement of the tenancy the name, address, and telephone number of:

(a) the owner or person authorized to manage the premises; and

(b) a person authorized to act for and on behalf of the owner for the purpose of service of process and for the purpose of receiving and receipting for notices and demands."

http://www.chicagorelaw.com/landlords/chicago-rlto/identific…
Joe,

Put your address down. They have to mail you the check every month. Below is a link to the city ordinance.
http://www.cityofchicago.org/dam/city/depts/dcd/general/hous…

Ivan Sagel
312.515.7823
Ivan@atproperties.com
You will have to put an address down.
Check with the Ordinance. I have seen people supply PO Box addresses, but not sure if that is acceptable.
The Chicago landlord tenant ordinance requires an address be provided to a tenant, per the lease form, which is the only one you can use in the city.
You might want to consider not going with a lease. Discuss the options you have with a real estate attorney who is well versed in landlord/tenant issues.
You need an address on the lease. Be sure to read the Landlord/Tenant Ordinance and follow the rules as it can be costly if you do not do it correctly if the tenant complains.