Rentals in Summerlin>Question Details

Espinozamom, Renter in Thousand Oaks, CA

If you rent in South Shores, is the same as renting in Desert Shores? Can you use the Desert Shores beach and playground?

Asked by Espinozamom, Thousand Oaks, CA Sun Jun 30, 2013

Answers

11
Are you still looking for a rental in Summerlin?

Start your FREE rental search here: http://lvrealestatehelp.weebly.com/property-management--rent…
No, it is not the same. There are several different Home Owner's Associations in the Desert Shores Master Planned Community. One must be in the Desert Shores Home Owner's Association to use the beach and playground. You should check with the HOA for the property you are renting to be positive. Your Landlord should be able to give you the HOA's name and telephone number. I hope this helps.
Pigeons come back to nest where they were born so the problem doesn't go away even when you hire a company. I've been there and done that! There are design issues that make a house more desirable to the birds than others and South Shores' houses fit that bill in many areas. Some people net their eaves and build pigeon blocks. Some neighbors feed the birds. I love the beauty of those areas however, I want my clients to just have their eyes wide open while looking. I was a structural engineer for 15 years and I show my clients how to look for flaws as well as the pretty things. I do like Summerlin because they try to lower their pollen count by restricting some trees, among other reasons. They were aware of the pigeon issues when Summerlin started building and their home designs were altered to less pigeon friendly designs. The pigeons aren't as prevelent and the streets are pretty.
The bottom line for a renter should be a home that fits your needs for a price that works in a convienent area for your life. But when choosing pigeons vs no pigeons, I suggest the no pigeon house every time. Desert Shores was also built at a time 1989-1993 where it was normal to put grass up against the house walls. Since then, water conservation laws have come into play but also look to see if the water has eroded the exterior walls and possible gotten into the walls. That's more important when buying but no one wants a house with mold under any circumstances and a landlord may not know.
Just pointing out a few things that most TO houses don't have to worry about.
Congratulations on your moving to Las Vegas!
Kurt
Like you said, there are several companies that specialize in pigeon control, and they can possibly help manage the problem. It appears that for the residents, the ability to live close to water in Las Vegas outweighs some issues.

If you would like to see which parts have the lowest crime rate, you can visit the Police Department website. Here is the link to map the areas: http://www.crimemapping.com/map/nv/lasvegas.

I'd be happy to answer any other questions you may have if you would like to call me at 702-900-6279.
If there are so many pigeon problems in South Shores as well as Desert Shores and you stated North Shores, what are the people doing about it and why do they live there? It seems such a popular place to move to. Is there a place that has the low crime and the feel of this area that doesn't have a pigeon problem? Seems there are a lot of Pest control companies that advertise this service. And I have not had any realtor say anything about this before, and I've talked with a few, why?
You have your answer but if you rent in south shores, be very careful to check for pigeon issues. They are loud, messy and in my North Shores house pigeon urine seeped through the roof's building materials to turn my ceiling/wall seam yellow. It's almost impossible to get rid of them and South Shores has an epidemic. Are you working with a Realtor who's telling you these things?
Feel free to call me if you need a good Realtor- 656-1818
You have heard "NO" a lot now lol . I would be happy to show you some homes in Desert Shores if its the community you love. Many people love it there and it is a great community. Living in there almost makes you feel you don't live in Vegas . Please feel free to email me at Rhondasellsvegas@gmail.com you can also visit my web site at http://www.AllLasVegasHomes.com
Unfortunately, no. South Shores is separate and residents do not receive the card required to use the beach and playground. South Shores residents do not pay the Desert Shores homeowner's association fees. Generally, South Shores fees are lower than those in Desert Shores.
No, I'm sorry. If you would like, we manage over 400 homes and have a good number in S.Shores and D. Shores. Please email me your criteria and I'll send you homes that match your criteria and my wife of I will show you homes. Thanks, Matt
This is a bummer, as we are about to put a deposit on a rental that we love on Hollow Wharf and we thought that we were able to use that area. This house has completely be redone and is gorgeous, and now this is the one thing that makes me sad. We are paying $1595, but unfortunately no pool and have 2511 sq ft in the house with 4 bds and 1 office. Is there anything like the beach in South Shores? We were very sad that we missed a couple houses right on the lake a month ago, and looked at a couple but just didn't like them, until we found this one.
Flag Sun Jun 30, 2013

In order to enter the lagoon in Desert Shores, you must show a membership card. The card is only available to owners or tenants of Desert Shores.

Jane Snow
Wardley Real Estate
No, only desert shores residents may use desert shores amenities.