Rentals in Montclair>Question Details

Mmm, Renter in Allen, TX

If using a agent to find a rental property what fees is the renter responsible for? Ie what does it cost to use a realtor to find a rental property.

Asked by Mmm, Allen, TX Wed Apr 10, 2013

Answers

8
In our area, the landlords pay the fee, not the tenants. So, it doesn't cost a tenant anything!
Web Reference: http://www.dianeglander.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Apr 10, 2013
Most of the time the renter is responsible for one month's rent if that is what the agency is charging. Some agencies will do 10 percent of total rent for the year which actually works out more. Some landlords will offer to pay the fee or split half of it but you may want to look critically at the place if they haven't been able to rent it for one reason or another.
Most of the rentals that are single family and multifamily homes are with realtors. Garden apartments usually rent by themselves and don't charge a fee but they also don't advertise much so they are more difficult to find.

I do a fair amount of rentals in the Montclair area as I have investors whom I have sold to who rent their places out through me. Feel free to contact me to get a list of what is available in the area you want. That list will also specifiy who is paying for the fee. P.S. Also, be prepared to pay extra rent for a pet and also you many require renter's insurance.

I hope I have been of help If you find this answer helpful, do give me a thumbs up.

Sandra Bolcar
RE/MAX VILLAGE SQUARE
Upper Montclair, NJ 07043
973-744-7722
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Apr 10, 2013
Hi

yes in northern jersey usually the tenant pays the rental fee equal to 1 months rent. there are some occasions the landlord will pay the fee or split the fee.

I'd be happy to help you
True, well explained by others. Except, the question comes from Texas, and somehow this on Montclair NJ thread. I would add, in this area of NJ, the usual practice is for tenant to pay the fee which is equal to one month rent, plus the security deposit which can be no more than 1.5 times the monthly rent and then the first month rent in advance. The Texas practice may be different. Just as Spring Lake NJ is different from Montclair NJ in who pays commission fee. This week I checked the Essex county renta listings for a client and 30% came up with the landlord covering the fee, Contact an agent who does rentals (some don't). Do that by calling an office and asking for one. Or, select one from Trulia such as those answering these questions. Good luck.
Carl Witzig- Weichert Realtors- 272 Bellevue Ave, Upper Montclair, NJ 07043 973 632-8593 cell. Office: 973 746-1515 Email: cwitzig@weichert.com
Sandy Bolcar said it all!
General rule realtor fee is ususally equal to one months rent.

Allen
EXIT PLATINUM REALTY
MONTCLAIR, NJ 07042
973 746-4777
Realtors fees for rentas are usually 1 month rent. Sometimes landlord will pay 1/2 the fees and rarely they will pay full commission and will not ask the tenant to pay at all.

If you need further assistance feel free to call our team. 917-294-0356.

Karen Abramson
Keller Williams Suburban Realty
sharonandkaren@kw.com
Are you looking to move to NJ? If so, give me a call at (732) 239-7452 and I will answer all of your questions.