Rentals in Oakland>Question Details

Martha3, Home Seller in Oakland, CA

If a landlord sells his property, can he force its tenants to leave?

Asked by Martha3, Oakland, CA Thu Feb 23, 2012

0 votes Share Flag Rentals in Oakland

Answers

6
No is the answer. There has to be a valid reason to evict a tenant. You can find the ( I believe 11 reasons) on the City of Oakland website. A sales is NOT a valid reason. As the owner you actually have to inform the tenant of the sale. If you need more info or details on how to sell with tenants, email me or call me.
Antoine
I need information on this I live in Wisconsin and my landlord just sent me a letter told me he sold the house and I have until May 31st to move out. I didn't even know he was selling it and I have 4 children.
Flag Mon Apr 13, 2015
Martha3:

It does not appear so.

See page marked page 48 (file page 58) "Landlord's Sale of Rental Unit" of the following document:
http://docs.Steven-Anthony.com/Landlord-TenantGuideCA2010.pdf

-Steve
The courts weigh in favor of tenants rights over landlords rights. Just because a change in ownership has happened doesnt void the lease agreement.
It depends on the wording in the lease. If it's a month-to-month lease the landlord can give tenants 30 days notice to vacate.
no- owner still must follow the tenant protections that Oakland /Rent control provides to tenants.
No. He has to honor their leases and so do the tenants, the income now coming to the new owner. Once the leases expire, then he can get them out. The only way to get them out ahead of time, assuming they have not violated the lease, is to "make it worth their while".