Rentals in Houston>Question Details

Lmviator, Renter in Houston, TX

If I have a job offer but can't start til I move and have been out of work for 6 mos. due to completing my master's degree, will landlords

Asked by Lmviator, Houston, TX Wed Jun 15, 2011

rent to me? My credit is not very good, but I have never had problems with major bills such as mortgage, rent, utilities, car note, etc. My concern is that to obtain my master's degree, I have been unemployed since January because my unpaid internship was 30 hours a week, plus classes (and I'm a single mom so night jobs were out of the question.) Otherwise I have excellent work history, and have been offered a job in the area. Being out of work and not currently working (yet- but will be once I find a place), will I have problems finding someone who will rent to me? I have family to help with deposits, etc.

0 votes Share Flag Rentals in Houston

Answers

7
You should be ok. There's plenty of inventory.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Jun 15, 2011
You will not have any problems renting, most landlords will run a credit check, but more importantly, they will check with your current and past landlords to make sure you have paid your rent on time. I suggest you contact a realtor in the Houston area that can guide you through the whole process at no cost to you. Congratulations and Good Luck with Your New Job!!!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Jun 15, 2011
You probably should be OK as long as you're honest and forthright. Most landlords (myself included) would want to know what you're doing (or have already done) to resolve any credit issues; you've already shared a few reasons here. Some landlords might require you to sign your lease with a co-signer, and some might require a larger deposit and/or escrowed payments from you.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Jun 15, 2011
I would be willing to find you and your children a nice safe home. I have been able work with landlords in some hard cases to help my clients.

Feel free to contact me at 281-905-4281 or tom@tombrownmiller.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Jun 15, 2011
You would not have a problem renting. If you plan to buy a house you may have a problem. Talk to a loan officer if you plan to buy a house. Otherwise, I don't know why you should have a problem to rent. As long as you are able to pay for the rent, your good!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Jun 15, 2011
Where have you been living while you were studying? Were you paying rent? If so, ask that person for a reference. If not, go ahead and submit your credit report. It's not so much the score as the history of bills being paid on time that the landlord will look at. Explain your situation, offer to verify employment and salary to show you can afford the rent, submit references and show your credit report to establish a history of paying bills in a timely manner. With all that you should be fine.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Jun 15, 2011
You will be fine to rent or purchase a home - with rental rates now, often times owning a home is less expensive than renting; let me know if we can assist you in making an informed decision.

Mario Romero
Broker Realtor

832 818 5868
marior@r3yes.com