Rentals in Columbus>Question Details

hp, Renter in Columbus, OH

I would like to know why is it so hard to find property in a nice neighborhood that accepts the housing choice voucher?

Asked by hp, Columbus, OH Tue Jan 28, 2014

0 votes Share Flag Rentals in Columbus

Answers

1
blambrosio’s answer
First this depends on your definition of a a "nice" neighborhood. As a realtor I am not allowed to have an opinion. As a property manager I manage properties all over central ohio and manage many Section 8 units. Based on my experience, I can tell you that most homes in the suburbs don't participate in the voucher program for many reasons. Here are a few. Most of the time the voucher will not pay enough to make it profitable, or section 8 will not pay what the owner is asking. Generally there is also more maintenance involved with a section 8 property. There is also a stigma against people on that program which makes many landlords not want to deal with them. Most landlords with a desirable property find it easier to find a tenant who pays their own rent and are therefore more accountable for the property, damages, and rent issues.