Rentals in Austin>Question Details

duffield95, Renter in Austin, TX

I would like to know the best school district to move to for a child with dyslexia. I am curious if they are well known for learning differences.

Asked by duffield95, Austin, TX Sun Aug 25, 2013

I am looking at AISD, Eanes, Hays, Leander, Lake Travis, and Round Rock based on location and things I saw on their websites. We expect to rent for a year until we know it is the right place and then buy a home.

0 votes Share Flag Rentals in Austin

Answers

6
Susie Kay’s answer
I would suggest that you call the school district AND the individual school to learn what they have to offer. Once you narrow it down to a couple of schools set up a schedule to meet with the school principal. Obviously you will need to coordinate the school with your budget for a home. Most people do not want to move to a different school once they like the school so I would suggest looking at area in your budget for both rental AND purchase. Call a local agent to help you.

If my answer helps, please give it a thumbs up or click for best answer!

Susie Kay, Realtor®
GRI, CHMS, SFR
Residential/Commercial/Investment
English-Indonesian-Hokkien
------------------------------------------------------------------
United Real Estate
III Lincoln Centre, 5430 LBJ Freeway #280
Dallas, TX 78240
469-371-2899
susie_k@att.net

http://www.dfwdreamhomes.net

Servicing your real estate need is my priority!
Given such an important decission I recommend going to the schools for an onsite visit. I would also consider, for continuity, the budget for your purchase in the coming year(s). The prices for these areas vary greatly.
Best wishes! If I can be of assistance let me know.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Aug 25, 2013
What type of dyslexia does your daughter have?
A lot of the dyslexic programs only address phoneme awareness. If that is the kind of service she needs you will have more choices than if she has one of the less common types.
There are also some cooperative programs that take advantage of the Scottish Rite dyslexia program here.
Do you know which school systems in particular take advantage of the Scottish Rite programs? I would like to move to a place where we have the best opportunity for services. She is using a phonemic program right now that seems to be working but I am specifically looking for school systems that have a Academic Language Therapists on site. It is difficult to sort through the internet material because schools often like to make themselves sound better than they actually are in real life. I should know, I'm a teacher.
Flag Tue Aug 27, 2013
I would need to know some more information to know which area to recommend. For example, how old is your child, what type of monthly rent are you looking for, what is your projected purchase price of the home you are wanting to purchase in about a year, etc., etc. Without those answers, it is almost impossible to guide you in the right direction. I do work with many clients with special needs children I have been quite successful in aligning them with the right schools and neighborhoods for their needs. I have an excellent resource on my team who used to work for the school system, and also have a friend who owned schools that work with special needs children.

If you are not yet working with a Realtor, feel free to reach out to me And I can get some more details and see if I can help. I am usually available from 10 AM to 7 PM seven days a week central standard time. Thanks, Joe

Joe Jarusinsky, Realtor/Master Instructor, Keller Williams Realty, Austin's #1 Real Estate Company, Call 512-261-4415
Which grade are you looking for? My daughter is dyslexic and we receive great support at Kiker Elementary in Circle C; Kiker has two dyslexia specialists and offers a summer program! It's one of a kind. I believe the same commitment to supporting other learner a carries over into Goryzki middle school.
By the way, another option would be Rawson Saunders School for the Dyslexic, a private school in Tarrytown. Prior to moving to Kiker, I researched this school and have an overall great impression of the education and support. But once again, we are really happy at Kiker right now and my daughter is thriving.
Flag Thu Sep 5, 2013
She will starting fourth grade when we move. I have read the reviews for Kiker and it looks promising. Thank you for the information.
Flag Sun Aug 25, 2013
I second Bill's comment. I think he is spot on with his advice. On a side note, I have heard that Baranoff Elementary has a very good program for children with dyslexia