Rentals in Brooklyn>Question Details

benprifti, Renter in New York, NY

I will arrive to NYC with my family of 4 as a green card lottery winner. Who is going to find me an apartment in Bronx, Brooklyn or Quins. Thanks Ben

Asked by benprifti, New York, NY Fri Jul 12, 2013

0 votes Share Flag Rentals in Brooklyn

Answers

4
Good afternoon Ben,

I’m no real estate agent, just a humble Mortgage Banker, but I can give you some guidance on your search for the right rental apartment.

In my experience in the real estate trade, I’ve discovered that the consumer is best served by adopting some simple strategies, whether you’re buying a home, selling one, or renting an apartment.

First: remember that real estate agents work on commission. The better quality agents---and those with the most experience---will be testing you from the initial contact to determine if you’re serious and will commit to using their services. Why? Because real estate is like any other business. You don’t get to stand in line at the fast food restaurant just to stare at the menu without actually buying some food at one point. It’s the same idea: the experienced real estate professional has to earn a living by renting apartments to serious and qualified prospective renters.

Therefore, the smart consumer should be well-prepared and committed to respecting the real estate professional’s time. That means: know your requirements for the apartment you wish to rent in terms of location, amenities (one bedroom versus three bedrooms; elevator building or private house), and location (proximity to public transportation or need for parking), and price. If you present yourself as well-prepared you’ll have a better chance of working with an experienced agent who will work hard to find you the right apartment.

Second, start with the internet---especially TRULIA.com---but stay “local.” Don’t think at real estate agent in Brooklyn can find you an apartment in Queens, or vice versa. Here on TRULIA.com you can easily find a local professional by clicking on “FIND a PRO” at the top of this page. There you can hone in on a seasoned professional in exactly the area where you wish to rent your apartment.

TRULIA provides exceptional tools to help you as a consumer understand the quality of the professional you’re working with. Read the agent’s profile; check out the recommendations from previous clients; get to know the level of experience of the agent and the areas that agent covers.

Third, real estate agents are prevented by Federal regulations from answering certain types of questions. They cannot discuss schools or school districts, crime statistics, and a variety of other issues prohibited by Fair Housing regulations. If your agent is vague when you ask certain types of questions, no you know why.

Finally, demonstrate your level of seriousness to your real estate agent. Show up on time for your appointments to view apartments. If you’re required to submit documents for the Landlord to review with your rental application, get them into your agent’s hands pronto. Not only does this help you potentially get one step up on a competing renter, but you’ll be viewed by the Landlord as a responsible renter. Landlords prefer responsible renters, don’t they?

I hope that helps you improve the results of your search for an apartment, and helps you with a better quality experience.

Trevor Curran
Mobile: 516-582-9181
Office: 516-829-2900
Fax: 516-829-2944
PowerHouse Solutions, Inc.
1010 Northern Blvd. Suite 234
Great Neck NY 11021
Licensed Mortgage Banker – NYS Dept. of Financial Services
NMLS#3528

*If you thought my answer was helpful, please give me a “Thumbs Up” or “Best Answer.” Thanks!
The first thing is to work out what your budget will be and be very firm with it, or you can very quickly end up paying too much. Know where your income is coming from and what savings and assets that you have for any landlord to feel comfortable that you can afford the rent.
Starting out in New York is never easy, but if you keep to your budget and grow from there you will thrive.
I did it some 30+ years ago.
Start small and grow strong. Brooklyn has many great neighborhoods in many different budget ranges.
So start with your budget.
Yours,
Kathryn Lilly, Broker
Realty on the Greene, LLC
718-858-7600
I can definitely can help you to find a place for your family in Brooklyn.
Contact me kei@corcoran.com or 6463271121
You're going to have to call a few different places.
Congratulations!

Luke Constantino
Commercial/Residential
Keller Williams Real Estate
9120 4th Avenue Brooklyn, NY 11209
Office: (718) 954 8400
Direct: (212) 300-3919
lukeconstantino@gmail.com