phrazy, Renter in 28203

I want to move to DC - what is the best area to move to, I like SW and NE, but I also like Reston and Herndon...please help..

Asked by phrazy, 28203 Mon Jun 4, 2012

I have sent interest on several properties in the DC area, as I would like to live close to down town, I can not seem to find anything SouthWest or NorthWest to rent, my credit is bad, but I just got a huge raise (20K$ more a year) so I am able to rent while I repair my credit and get my life in order, note that I would like to move and be in place before the fourth of July.
I need 3 to 4 Bedrooms and I am willing to go as high as 2200$/mth
I am a parent, so school are very important to me, so any advice the best schools is very helpful. I am moving from North Carolina.

Answers

8
Connie Vanderpool’s answer
Hi, and welcome fellow Southerner! I am originally from Tennessee!

Where you live depends a lot on your lifestyle, where you work and your needs. As for schools, Montgomery Co, MD and Fairfax Co, VA are rated tops in the Nation. Those are also the most affluent counties in the nation for income. Now that being said, the other counties try to keep up, so they are not too shabby. Figure almost every other place in the US is about the same or less than ALL of our schools. Even DC is upgrading at the moment, because of the overhaul in the school system there and the desires of the newer residence in the city. We have schools that are multi-lingual, teaching another language in addition to English. WE have schools that favor different studies, to suit your child's needs. Whatever they need, it is here.

As for rent, the rental values have gone up quite a bit in the last year. It seems that the further you are from DC, the less the rent. Also, the condition could be a factor in the rental value and whether or not it is located close to public transportation which is big here.

I really need to learn more about you before I can give you any advise. My cell is 202 262 7062 and my email is connievre@yahoo.com. I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Connie Vanderpool
Re/Max Hall of Fame
Top 1% Nationwide
Selling and Listing in VA, DC and MD
over 20 years experience in this area
Thanks and Thank you for writing back! I have been looking in Cheverly, MD....any thoughts?
Flag Thu Aug 9, 2012
Hi Phrazy,

We work with several partners who specialize in helping people get approved for a rental. Some of these affiliates include a co signing company or lender. Please feel free to reference them on our moving center when you have time, as it's probably best for you to contact them directly.

Kindest regards,
Hi Phrazy,

I've worked with renters in the DC/northern VA area for a long time so let me help with some of your concerns. Renters can always find a rental although depending on the depth of your credit problems, we may need to be more creative with fixes. If you are looking for your rental in June you will be in the middle of crazy season in the suburbs where there are multiple applications for good properties as parents try to get settled before the next school year starts. If you have a pet it cuts the number of available properties in half.

Herndon/Reston is in my backyard and I think this is a terrific option. You never actually have to leave the towns; there's theater, sports, dog parks, great restaurants, great community associations, health care and, of course, schools with magnet programs, language immersion and the rest that Fairfax County Public Schools prides itself on. The Silver Line on Metro opens in December so you will have to endure a commute that can be tedious for a few months unless you can telecommute. You can take a bus from Reston to the WFC metro and get into town on the Orange Line until then. The best reason for considering Herndon/Reston is that at this time, using your budget, there are 46 listings for 3 bedroom or greater properties compared to 13 for all of DC. There is a Reston listing for a townhouse that will be 1/2 mile from the new metro station. There is nothing not to like about living here.
Hey Phrazy,

If you haven't found anything, here are a few available places that are within your budget. Give me a call at (202) 670-6677 when you get a chance so I can help you find a place before July 4th.

Talk to you soon,
Ericka
3-4 bedroom for $2,200? Good luck!

Seriously. And you want good schools, too? While agents can't really address "good schools," I think you'd find some suggesting that you consider suburban schools, too.

Plus, you want something close to downtown? Again, the best of luck! Reston and Herndon come closer to your price point and you might find the schools acceptable, but the commute can be brutal. Especially now, with lots of construction on I-66, the Beltway, and surrounding areas (the HOT lanes, the extension of the Metro out in the direction of Reston, etc.) Getting through Tyson's Corner (which you'd have to, commuting from Reston or Herndon into D.C.) is no fun. Never has been, but it's way worse now.

I'm not overly familiar with Maryland, but you might look into Carrot's suggestions for some areas in close-in Montgomery County.

On the Virginia side, you might look in areas around Falls Church, Fairfax, and Centreville. You can find some cute 3-bedroom older homes to rent in the Falls Church area (some even near Metro) for close to your price point. It'll get a bit easier outside the Beltway, such as around Fairfax. All of those are in Fairfax County. And while school quality varies, Fairfax County generally scores pretty high on school quality. You might also look in the Springfield area.

Don Tepper, Real Estate Pro in Fairfax, VA
Hey Phrazy,

I am from NC too. Give me a call at (202) 670-6677 when you get a chance and I can help you find some places that fit your budget.

Talk to you soon,
Ericka
Hey Phrazy,
I am available all day. So, call me when you get a chance (202) 670-6677. The 4th is around the corner.
Ericka
Flag Wed Jun 13, 2012
Thank You Erika, I will give you a call later today.
BRs.
Kim
Flag Tue Jun 12, 2012
Hi Phrazy,
I think it will be harder to find a 3-4 bedroom in your price range in DC; have you considered Silver Spring? It's an easy Metro commute downtown and Montgomery County Schools have a pretty good reputation. As far as credit, as long as you don't have any eviction, you might not have a problem finding a rental. You can always offer to put down a larger security deposit.
Dear phrazy,

Welcome to DC metro. You are moving into one of the most expensive metros in the country, I am sure you knwo that, unfortunately your rental budget will be overestended in the district. You will have more bang for your buck if you look into DC suburbs, like Reston & Herndon for example. I can discuss this in more details with you, please feel free to email me at walid@lnf.com. I look forward to talking to you.

Walid Ashoor
Thank You Walid,
I will be in touch as you are the only one who said something to me, I am hopeful that you are the best resource in this instance.
Kim
Flag Tue Jun 5, 2012